Author: ceciliazhang

China ranks 36th at EF's Global Ranking of English Skills [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2017-11-13 20:01:50 |Display all floors
Where does the US rank in Chinese language proficiency, save for the Chinese who
have moved to the US?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-13 23:33:56 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 19:39
Sounds you agree that China should raise the bar and send the foreign quacks packing.This is a lie ...
This is a lie.

Is it? If so, then how is it that my Chinese daughter-in-law, with a Bachelor's Degree in Russian from a university in Changchun, is teaching Chinese to Russian students, at a Confucius Institute in Russia. She has no Chinese teaching certificate, nor does she have a Chinese as a Foreign Language teaching certificate. All she has is a Bachelor's Degree.

I am not in the habit of lying just to prove a point.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-13 23:55:00 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 19:24
The west is a term that emerged centuries ago, rather than in the Cold War era, which is otherwise ...

Sorry son. The expression may have its 'roots' in the Western Roman Empire, and Western Christianity, but guess what? It doesn't apply to the modern day world. "The West" was used by the Soviet Union to depict NATO aligned countries as opposed to Warsaw Pact and non-aligned countries. Today, "The West", when used by Chinese, refers to every country other than China, except for maybe Russia and a few other select countries under communist control. Cuba, for example, is not included in "The West", even though it is right next-door to the United States, because it has a communist government.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 18:58
So much for your linguistic expertise,
By the way, you might be wrong in stating "so on and on" ...

Actually, journalists make many grammatical mistakes, nowadays. Most of the time it is because they use the grammar-checkers and spelling checkers in their word processing software. This software only looks at grammatical constructs. It does not take the whole sentence into consideration, or include spelling and meaning. For example, if you put "Spell check will not fined words witch are miss used butt spelled rite" into your word processing software, the spelling checker will tell you it is correct, even though it has glaring errors in it.

A grammar checker will have no problem passing the following as correct:

"Marketing are bad for brand big and small. You Know What I am Saying? It is no wondering that advertisings are bad for company in America, Chicago and Germany. ... McDonald's and Coca Cola are good brand. ... Gates do good marketing job in Microsoft."

Grammar and spelling checkers will never be a substitute for proofreading.

So, to answer your question ... Yes, I would claim that my English is better than this "professional journalist's" English.

Use magic tools Report

seneca Post time: 2017-11-13 16:03
"Stomatological"? Ancient?

As far as I am concerned, this is not an outdated word at all. It is  ...

Sorry, my friend, but here in North America, the words "Stomatology" and "Stomatological" are not used outside of a university environment. Even at that, it is rare to see "Department of Stomatology" on a university campus. Instead, "Department of Dentistry", or "School of Dentistry" is used. I don't know about its use in Europe because the one and only time I was there, I was on exercise, and confined to base (Lahr).

Use magic tools Report

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 23:33
Is it? If so, then how is it that my Chinese daughter-in-law, with a Bachelor's Degree in Russia ...

It is that many of your western folks are much much worse, who can't even speak decent English, but teach English in China.

Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-14 00:18
Actually, journalists make many grammatical mistakes, nowadays. Most of the time it is because the ...

It is all rigmarole.

More examples:

It is when one does not love that all these things matter - whether you are attractive or repellent, whether face is shapeless or beautiful, and so on and on.

There're Britain, America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore, and so on and on.

We will discuss peace, plan legislation, create new leagues, the United Nations, and so on and on;

So on and on...

Facts hurt,
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.