Author: ceciliazhang

China ranks 36th at EF's Global Ranking of English Skills [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-13 09:22:23 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-12 21:45
The topic of quack English teachers apparently touches you on the sore ... Going off at a tangent  ...

When ducks' bills start quacking next to me then sure their duck bills start touching me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-13 11:57:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Liononthehunt at 2017-11-13 12:44
cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 03:09
I disagree with you. It's not the "quack foreign English teachers". It's the system that puts stre ...

You just jumped to the foreign quack teachers' defense without seeing my point.
The quacks can hardly be blamed for the sorry state that China's English education is in, the problem is those guys who speak tacky English can pose as qualified tutors, and few education institutes are able to tell if they are lousy or not, which will make things worse.

By the way, western countries' English education is far from perfect either. As required by my job, I have to exchange corresponse on a daily basis with people from Europe, and engage in conference calls with them from time to time. and it is painful to see those guys often literally butcher the language of English in their writing and speaking.

Admittedly, it is not a monolithic scene in Europe regarding English fluency. Some small countries, particularly the Nordic, whose economies thrive largely on trade, score higher grades than the rest of the European countries where the population's English proficiency levels only come off as passable at best, no better than that of the Filippinos.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-13 12:56:05 |Display all floors
I disagree with you. It's not the "quack foreign English teachers". It's the system that puts stre ...

"Another word, which is now regarded as "ancient", but is still commonly used in China, is "Stomatological". Do not use this word..."

Can't blame the ordinary folks when even the government uses these 'ancient' words.  I was at the dental clinic of a local hospital, and it had a huge sign proclaiming, 'Dept of Stomatology'!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-13 13:04:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2017-11-13 13:08

The Chinese teachers are the culprits responsible for their students' poor English.  For example,  they teach their students the 'rules' of grammar, like to make the past tense of a verb, change the 'Y' to 'I' and add 'ed';  so 'fly' becomes 'flied'!!  And this has been accepted by so many, young and old, that it even appeared in some grammar books in the popular 'Book City' in many cities!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-13 14:19:54 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-11-13 12:56
"Another word, which is now regarded as "ancient", but is still commonly used in China, is "Stomat ...

Far-fetched to pin this on the government, dude.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-13 14:31:20 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 11:57
You just jumped to the foreign quack teachers' defense without seeing my point.
The quacks can hard ...

When your country's regulations state that a foreign teacher only have a Bachelor's Degree (in any field) and a TESOL certificate, what do you expect? You want better teachers? Raise your standards for qualification, and get over this "white face in the classroom" kick that you have going.

I can even throw your "quack teachers" argument right back in your face. Are you aware that most of your Chinese teachers at Confucius Institutes aren't even qualified teachers? If you want qualified English teachers, perhaps you should lead by example and have qualified Chinese teachers.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-13 14:49:24 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-11-13 13:04
The Chinese teachers are the culprits responsible for their students' poor English.  For example,   ...

The rule you cited concerning the letter Y as the last letter of a verb is a general instruction, it applies to most of the verbs ending with a Y, for instance, apply, carry, gussy, dry, bully, ply, toady, and so on and on, so long as the Y follows a consonant letter. Of course, there are a few exceptions, like fly, but words like that are few and far between.

Similarly there are a number of words that doesn't follow the general rules when being converted into the past tense, like take, string, strike, buy, seek, etc., and for those words, Chinese teachers would provide a table of them for the pupils to memorize.

Chinese English teachers may be at fault in many respects, but you just miss the mark in trashing the grammatical rules that actually are very useful.  (You are not a native English speaker, are you?)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.