Chinadaily Forum

Title: China ranks 36th at EF's Global Ranking of English Skills [Print this page]

Author: ceciliazhang    Time: 2017-11-9 16:31:48     Title: China ranks 36th at EF's Global Ranking of English Skills

The Netherlands still has the world's best non-native English speakers, according to the EF English Proficiency Index (EF EPI) released today by EF Education First. The EF EPI 2017 ranks 80 countries and territories based on data from more than one million adults who took the EF Standard English Test (EF SET), the world's first free standardized English test. The EF SET provides language learners access to a high-quality, standardized English test. The EF SET has been used worldwide by thousands of schools, companies, and governments, where large-scale testing was previously cost prohibitive. China ranks 36th, the highest since 2011. Do you think the ranking accurately reflect the level of English proficiency among Chinese people?

Author: ceciliazhang    Time: 2017-11-9 16:32:02

Author: ceciliazhang    Time: 2017-11-9 16:32:15

Author: Jarek    Time: 2017-11-11 20:37:47

dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-11-11 08:57
"The EF English Proficiency Index has been criticized for its lack of representative sampling in eac ...

Absolutely right. The Dutch scored themselves high in this test. I still need to meet the first Dutch person that speaks correct English and has no pronounced Dutch accent(and be modest at the same time
Author: tonysong2000    Time: 2017-11-12 08:18:00

taking more time to learn a none-native language is necessary to work in an international company or do business through international channels.
Author: seneca    Time: 2017-11-12 08:21:53

dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-11-11 15:57
"The EF English Proficiency Index has been criticized for its lack of representative sampling in eac ...

No wonder the Chinese make it to rank 36 on their list and are happy to achieve that "much". If they were ranked by truly professional experts there would be a less flattering picture.
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-12 11:07:33

seneca Post time: 2017-11-12 08:21
No wonder the Chinese make it to rank 36 on their list and are happy to achieve that "much". If th ...

I do see with you on this, and that's why so many quack foreign English teachers can survive in China.
Gotta get them kicked out of the country.
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-12 12:25:13

dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-11-11 15:57

Just like I said above; don't place too much weight on this EF Test, it's very misleading!
A test that is not representative should never be carried out,  lest prospective employers get misled.
Author: dostoevskydr    Time: 2017-11-12 12:32:21

seneca Post time: 2017-11-12 08:21
No wonder the Chinese make it to rank 36 on their list and are happy to achieve that "much". If th ...

As usual. As usual, my friend.....
Author: seneca    Time: 2017-11-12 14:03:11

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-12 11:07
I do see with you on this, and that's why so many quack foreign English teachers can survive in Ch ...

Many quack foreign immigrants come from China and work in the U.S.A., Australia, Germany or Congo. In recent years the international community has learnt how to weed them out via language tests. Then these quacks learnt how to cheat in exams or buy the services of proxy test takers. Again we have wised up on them. How many quack Chinese immigrants have made it to Silicon Valley? Nobody knows because they may have become kitchen workers in a Chinatown...

Author: seneca    Time: 2017-11-12 20:20:55

Jarek Post time: 2017-11-11 20:37
Absolutely right. The Dutch scored themselves high in this test. I still need to meet the first Du ...

I have to disabuse you: English First is a SWEDISH company, not Dutch. You did them injustice in your post. Even so the Dutch and the Swedes truly are among the world's best English-as-a-second-language speakers.
Author: seneca    Time: 2017-11-12 20:21:59

tonysong2000 Post time: 2017-11-12 08:18
taking more time to learn a none-native language is necessary to work in an international company o ...

Do you know how long YOU have been learning YOUR FIRST language?

Much longer than your second. Do you master it perfectly? Not everyone does...

Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-12 21:45:02

seneca Post time: 2017-11-12 14:03
Many quack foreign immigrants come from China and work in the U.S.A., Australia, Germany or Cong ...

The topic of quack English teachers apparently touches you on the sore ... Going off at a tangent wouldn't help you as much.
Author: cmknight    Time: 2017-11-13 03:09:36

I do see with you on this, and that's why so many quack foreign English teachers can survive in Ch ...

I disagree with you. It's not the "quack foreign English teachers". It's the system that puts stress on learning reading and writing (grammar) before listening and speaking (comprehension and meaning). This is actually the reverse of how you learned your native tongue (Chinese).

Everyone learns their own language in the following order, listening, speaking, reading, writing. Each one is more difficult to learn, than the previous one. Listening is the easiest because it is already built in to our bodies. It is "hard-wired" into our brains. Speaking is harder to learn than listening because now you have to use muscles and tissues to replicate the sounds you are hearing, and to form new sounds. Reading is next in difficulty because now your brain has to interpret symbols (letters/characters) into sounds that you can speak and listen to. Last is writing, because here is where all of the "rules" (grammar) come into play. Parts of speech, order, syntax, etc.

One thing that makes English so difficult for Chinese learners is the fact that it's an idiomatic language. Almost everything we say is in an idiomatic form. Most words have multiple meanings. Take the word "bear" as an example. A good dictionary will have up to four pages of meanings just for that word alone. Chinese users generally tend to learn only one definition, that of a large four-legged, fur-covered animal. When listening and speaking are learned first, these idioms become easier to understand and translate ... even if you are hearing them for the first time. By learning reading and writing first, these idiomatic expressions become extremely difficult, if not downright impossible, to translate into one's own language.

Another difficult aspect is the insistence by Chinese English teachers that you learn more vocabulary. Although that is not necessarily a bad thing, you must remember that the average native speaker of English only has a useful vocabulary of about 3500 words. I say a "useful" vocabulary, because many of these words are repeated constantly in everyday conversation. The most commonly used word in the English language is "the". Like I said, more vocabulary is not necessarily a bad thing, however, you must be mindful of what you learn. Words like "natatorium", which is commonly seen throughout China, is a word that was taken out of common usage in the late 1700's. A natatorium is a swimming pool. Another word, which is now regarded as "ancient", but is still commonly used in China, is "Stomatological". Do not use this word!! Even native speakers do not use this word ... unless they are dentists. That's right ... dentists. A Stomatological Hospital is simply a Dental Clinic. How do you tell if the word you are using is common? Ask. If you use it in conversation and the native speaker looks at you like your head just exploded, it's probably not a common word, so ask, first.

Like I said, Liononthehunt, it's not the quack English teachers, it's the quack system of learning.
Author: seneca    Time: 2017-11-13 09:22:23

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-12 21:45
The topic of quack English teachers apparently touches you on the sore ... Going off at a tangent  ...

When ducks' bills start quacking next to me then sure their duck bills start touching me.
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-13 11:57:18

This post was edited by Liononthehunt at 2017-11-13 12:44
cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 03:09
I disagree with you. It's not the "quack foreign English teachers". It's the system that puts stre ...

You just jumped to the foreign quack teachers' defense without seeing my point.
The quacks can hardly be blamed for the sorry state that China's English education is in, the problem is those guys who speak tacky English can pose as qualified tutors, and few education institutes are able to tell if they are lousy or not, which will make things worse.

By the way, western countries' English education is far from perfect either. As required by my job, I have to exchange corresponse on a daily basis with people from Europe, and engage in conference calls with them from time to time. and it is painful to see those guys often literally butcher the language of English in their writing and speaking.

Admittedly, it is not a monolithic scene in Europe regarding English fluency. Some small countries, particularly the Nordic, whose economies thrive largely on trade, score higher grades than the rest of the European countries where the population's English proficiency levels only come off as passable at best, no better than that of the Filippinos.

Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-13 12:56:05

I disagree with you. It's not the "quack foreign English teachers". It's the system that puts stre ...

"Another word, which is now regarded as "ancient", but is still commonly used in China, is "Stomatological". Do not use this word..."

Can't blame the ordinary folks when even the government uses these 'ancient' words.  I was at the dental clinic of a local hospital, and it had a huge sign proclaiming, 'Dept of Stomatology'!
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-13 13:04:41

This post was edited by pnp at 2017-11-13 13:08

The Chinese teachers are the culprits responsible for their students' poor English.  For example,  they teach their students the 'rules' of grammar, like to make the past tense of a verb, change the 'Y' to 'I' and add 'ed';  so 'fly' becomes 'flied'!!  And this has been accepted by so many, young and old, that it even appeared in some grammar books in the popular 'Book City' in many cities!
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-13 14:19:54

pnp Post time: 2017-11-13 12:56
"Another word, which is now regarded as "ancient", but is still commonly used in China, is "Stomat ...

Far-fetched to pin this on the government, dude.
Author: cmknight    Time: 2017-11-13 14:31:20

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 11:57
The quacks can hard ...

When your country's regulations state that a foreign teacher only have a Bachelor's Degree (in any field) and a TESOL certificate, what do you expect? You want better teachers? Raise your standards for qualification, and get over this "white face in the classroom" kick that you have going.

I can even throw your "quack teachers" argument right back in your face. Are you aware that most of your Chinese teachers at Confucius Institutes aren't even qualified teachers? If you want qualified English teachers, perhaps you should lead by example and have qualified Chinese teachers.
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-13 14:49:24

pnp Post time: 2017-11-13 13:04
The Chinese teachers are the culprits responsible for their students' poor English.  For example,   ...

The rule you cited concerning the letter Y as the last letter of a verb is a general instruction, it applies to most of the verbs ending with a Y, for instance, apply, carry, gussy, dry, bully, ply, toady, and so on and on, so long as the Y follows a consonant letter. Of course, there are a few exceptions, like fly, but words like that are few and far between.

Similarly there are a number of words that doesn't follow the general rules when being converted into the past tense, like take, string, strike, buy, seek, etc., and for those words, Chinese teachers would provide a table of them for the pupils to memorize.

Chinese English teachers may be at fault in many respects, but you just miss the mark in trashing the grammatical rules that actually are very useful.  (You are not a native English speaker, are you?)
Author: cmknight    Time: 2017-11-13 14:50:09

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 11:57
The quacks can hard ...

I have always hated that expression ... "Western Countries". Western country is an expression which evolved from Soviet Russia, during the Cold War. It was all-inclusive of countries which did not follow the teachings of Marxism and Leninism. Any country which did not have a communist government was classified as a "Western Country". It was a propaganda tool. There are European countries, African countries, Middle-Eastern countries, South American countries, and Asia-Pacific countries. There is no such thing as a "Western Country".
Author: cmknight    Time: 2017-11-13 15:01:26

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 14:49
The rule you cited concerning the letter Y as the last letter of a verb is a general instruction,  ...
Similarly there are a number of words that doesn't follow the general rules ...

How about your use of the contracted form of the verb phrase "does not"?

Does not -> doesn't (singular verb phrase)
Do not -> don't (plural verb phrase)

"number of words" = plural subject phrase.

In accordance with subject/verb agreement rules, you should be using a plural verb with a plural subject, therefore, your sentence should read, "Similarly, there are a number of words that don't follow the general rules ...". Also, please note the addition of a comma after the adverb, "Similarly".

Oh, you only need to use, "and so on" ... not "and so on, and on". That's just poor grammatical form.
Author: cnn70    Time: 2017-11-13 15:12:40

Mr. Rui More updates on Mr. Rui

Three years had passed since we last saw Mr. Rui cheng-kang, the well-known news anchor who was reported to have fallen into disgrace. And he had recently made an unexpected and surreptitious appearance in the web world when what looked like a mug-shot of Mr. Rui started circulating in the internet. To the surprise of millions of Rui’s fans in China, the once glamorous youth iron is nowhere to be found. Instead, what they saw is a blurred photo of a haggard and middle-aged man with glasses and a shaved head. Is this guy really Mr. Rui? Surely one needs some imagination to make a connection between this gloomy looking jailbird and the charming news anchor in signature suits and ties cracking jokes with Bill Clinton or Tony Blair. Further information coming along with the shot indicates that Mr. Rui is currently serving a six-year sentence in a prison in Jilin province.

Rui was said to be taken away by investigators in November 2014 following a nation wide ant-graft campaign. Shortly after Rui’s disappearing from public rumors have been spreading in the net world that Rui was arrested on espionage charges and could even face death penalty if convicted. Rui’s falling into disgrace had stirred up quite a ripple in the ocean of entertainment industry in China as he was long deemed a rising star. Further revealing may grant millions of Rui’s fans a relief that Rui’s actual offence is much less severe than previously expected. In fact, Rui was convicted of bribing and taking bribes when his own consulting firm had helped CCTV to recruit clients. Mr. Rui had allegedly received commissions from his employer, the CCTV, and its foreign clients for brokering interviews. As to the espionage charges no solid evidence has emerged so far to verify it. It is also rumored that Rui’s fall may have something to do with his close connections with some of the top-notch officials in China, most notably Ling Ji-hua and his wife. Ruis is rumored to have been a secret lover of Ling’s wife. Rumor like this has usually aroused enthusiasm among Chinese for whom sex and money are usually the heated topics in gossiping the downfall of a dignitary.
  Ever since Mr Rui’s conviction the place of his incarceration has been a keen subject of surmising among the Netizens. Some suspected that Ruis was locked up in the famous Qincheng prison. But further analysis by better informed Netizens quickly dismissed such a possibility on the grounds that Qincheng was a place reserved for high-rank officials. Apparently, Mr. Rui, a mere news anchor, no matter whatever the crime he might have committed, has not the right to book a room in the Qingcheng hotel. Mr. Rui’s whereabouts has not been confirmed until a mug shot emerged in the internet indicating that he is now a jailbird in a local prison in Jilin province.

The last words we heard from Mr. Rui was a short message left in his personal blogg which went like this “ care less about what others say about you, let the rumor spread, time will clear up everything.” Mr. Rui’s downfall stirred up a mixed feeling among the observers who had dividend into both sympathizers and critics. Rui’s, with his suave appearance and a good command of English, was often viewed by many as both arrogant and snobbish. Many labeled him as a shrewd opportunist adept at exploiting the trend to serve for his own interests, especially when his misconducts had come to light. In essence, Rui, just like all the rascals working for the regime, is above all else a shameless and loyal running dog who is not hesitant to do his best to promote the causes of his master.

Rui deserves what he got. Like all these corrupt officials, he has to be held responsible for what he had done. Rui is said to have nearly choked himself to death when a piece of chicken bone was found stuck in his throat. Mr. Rui was probably trying to come to a sense as to why he had ended up in a place like this while eating his dinner. While I am writing this report, Rui is probably working in prison making light bulbs. The rise and fall of Rui and his likes remind us of a famous Chinese proverb: “If you win, you might be a king or a nobleman, and if you fail, you might well become a bandit or a convict.”

Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-13 15:52:46

The rule you cited concerning the letter Y as the last letter of a verb is a general instruction,  ...

Wrong there, you missed my point!  I know these rules, I don't 'trash' them,  just noting that Chinese teachers don't tell their students the exception to the rule, so they blindly follow the rule to the letter, and as I said, this common error even found its way into some grammar books in the popular bookstore, 'Book City'!  I am not blaming the grammar rule, just the Chinese teachers for teaching the rule without showing the exceptions.  
You obviously don't read very well; are you a native English speaker?  And, look at your errors that cmknight pointed out!
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-13 15:55:09

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 15:01

Does not -> doesn't (s ...

Forgive him for his ignorance!  Hope he is not an English teacher!
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-13 15:56:16

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 14:19
Far-fetched to pin this on the government, dude.

Pin it on you?
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-13 15:58:48

"Of course, there are a few exceptions, like fly, but words like that are few and far between. "

"few and far between" though they may be, the students should still be taught correctly!
Author: dostoevskydr    Time: 2017-11-13 15:59:02

There are always "exclusions" or "exceptions".
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-13 16:17:16

seneca Post time: 2017-11-13 16:03
"Stomatological"? Ancient?

As far as I am concerned, this is not an outdated word at all. It is  ...

I was just quoting the previous poster who said that.
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-13 18:00:35

pnp Post time: 2017-11-13 15:52
Wrong there, you missed my point!  I know these rules, I don't 'trash' them,  just noting that Chi ...

It is absolutely untrue, you are either ignorant or trying to mislead. (There is a irregularity in my sentence construction, if you are a native English speaker, you should be able to spot and name it. )
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-13 18:06:20

pnp Post time: 2017-11-13 15:56
Pin it on you?

This is all you could come up with? Come on, pal.
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-13 18:58:12

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 15:01

Does not -> doesn't (s ...

So much for your linguistic expertise,
By the way, you might be wrong in stating "so on and on" is a poor grammatical form.

"Before that ... it was Bill Clinton again on Martha's Vineyard, and before that it was the elder Bush at his Kennebunkport, Maine, compound, and so on and on. " This is an excerpt from a CNN report titled Give Obama A Break. You won't claim that your English is better than the professional journalist, will you?

Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-13 19:24:05

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 14:50
I have always hated that expression ... "Western Countries". Western country is an expression whic ...

The west is a term that emerged centuries ago, rather than in the Cold War era, which is otherwise known as Occident that is derived from the Latin word Occidens, as contrasted with Orient.

You see you have no shortage of misconceptions in you head, and you usually freak out over them.
Whom are you gonna blame for that? Probably quack teachers.

Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-13 19:39:51

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 14:31
When your country's regulations state that a foreign teacher only have a Bachelor's Degree (in any ...
  1. When your country's regulations state that a foreign teacher only have a Bachelor's Degree (in any field) and a TESOL certificate, what do you expect? You want better teachers? Raise your standards for qualification, and get over this "white face in the classroom" kick that you have going.
Copy code
Sounds you agree that China should raise the bar and send the foreign quacks packing.
  1. I can even throw your "quack teachers" argument right back in your face. Are you aware that most of your Chinese teachers at Confucius Institutes aren't even qualified teachers? If you want qualified English teachers, perhaps you should lead by example and have qualified Chinese teachers.
Copy code
This is a lie.
Author: robert237    Time: 2017-11-13 20:01:50

Where does the US rank in Chinese language proficiency, save for the Chinese who
have moved to the US?
Author: cmknight    Time: 2017-11-13 23:33:56

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 19:39
Sounds you agree that China should raise the bar and send the foreign quacks packing.This is a lie ...
This is a lie.

Is it? If so, then how is it that my Chinese daughter-in-law, with a Bachelor's Degree in Russian from a university in Changchun, is teaching Chinese to Russian students, at a Confucius Institute in Russia. She has no Chinese teaching certificate, nor does she have a Chinese as a Foreign Language teaching certificate. All she has is a Bachelor's Degree.

I am not in the habit of lying just to prove a point.
Author: cmknight    Time: 2017-11-13 23:55:00

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 19:24
The west is a term that emerged centuries ago, rather than in the Cold War era, which is otherwise ...

Sorry son. The expression may have its 'roots' in the Western Roman Empire, and Western Christianity, but guess what? It doesn't apply to the modern day world. "The West" was used by the Soviet Union to depict NATO aligned countries as opposed to Warsaw Pact and non-aligned countries. Today, "The West", when used by Chinese, refers to every country other than China, except for maybe Russia and a few other select countries under communist control. Cuba, for example, is not included in "The West", even though it is right next-door to the United States, because it has a communist government.
Author: cmknight    Time: 2017-11-14 00:18:14

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 18:58
So much for your linguistic expertise,
By the way, you might be wrong in stating "so on and on" ...

Actually, journalists make many grammatical mistakes, nowadays. Most of the time it is because they use the grammar-checkers and spelling checkers in their word processing software. This software only looks at grammatical constructs. It does not take the whole sentence into consideration, or include spelling and meaning. For example, if you put "Spell check will not fined words witch are miss used butt spelled rite" into your word processing software, the spelling checker will tell you it is correct, even though it has glaring errors in it.

A grammar checker will have no problem passing the following as correct:

"Marketing are bad for brand big and small. You Know What I am Saying? It is no wondering that advertisings are bad for company in America, Chicago and Germany. ... McDonald's and Coca Cola are good brand. ... Gates do good marketing job in Microsoft."

Grammar and spelling checkers will never be a substitute for proofreading.

So, to answer your question ... Yes, I would claim that my English is better than this "professional journalist's" English.
Author: cmknight    Time: 2017-11-14 00:27:53

seneca Post time: 2017-11-13 16:03
"Stomatological"? Ancient?

As far as I am concerned, this is not an outdated word at all. It is  ...

Sorry, my friend, but here in North America, the words "Stomatology" and "Stomatological" are not used outside of a university environment. Even at that, it is rare to see "Department of Stomatology" on a university campus. Instead, "Department of Dentistry", or "School of Dentistry" is used. I don't know about its use in Europe because the one and only time I was there, I was on exercise, and confined to base (Lahr).
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-14 10:47:18

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 23:33
Is it? If so, then how is it that my Chinese daughter-in-law, with a Bachelor's Degree in Russia ...

It is that many of your western folks are much much worse, who can't even speak decent English, but teach English in China.

Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-14 11:16:19

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-14 00:18
Actually, journalists make many grammatical mistakes, nowadays. Most of the time it is because the ...

It is all rigmarole.

More examples:

It is when one does not love that all these things matter - whether you are attractive or repellent, whether face is shapeless or beautiful, and so on and on.

There're Britain, America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Nigeria, India, Singapore, and so on and on.

We will discuss peace, plan legislation, create new leagues, the United Nations, and so on and on;

So on and on...

Facts hurt,
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-14 11:38:31

This post was edited by Liononthehunt at 2017-11-14 14:39
cmknight Post time: 2017-11-13 23:55
Sorry son. The expression may have its 'roots' in the Western Roman Empire, and Western Christiani ...

You still keep shooting off your mouth, pal.

The term is still being used by your fellow westerners, including heads of state on multiple occasions, and mind you, that terms can also been interpreted in a variety of contexts, including cultural and economical, and it is only you who insists on drawing a line between NATO and Warsaw Pact, China and the rest of the world, as your mentally is still stuck in the Cold War era.

Wake up, dude, it is the 21st century now.  
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-14 12:52:41

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 18:00
It is absolutely untrue, you are either ignorant or trying to mislead. (There is a irregularity in ...

Am not here to score points with you, bye
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-14 13:02:47

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-13 18:00
It is absolutely untrue, you are either ignorant or trying to mislead. (There is a irregularity in ...

It is never my habit to correct posters' English; I just ignore their mistakes, looking only at their arguments, not their English; it's only because someone else brought up your errors that I replied.  And, say what you like, if it gives you any pleasure, say I am not a native English speaker, that's fine with me!
Author: pnp    Time: 2017-11-14 15:09:00

This post was edited by pnp at 2017-11-15 13:23
cnn70 Post time: 2017-11-13 15:12
Mr. Rui More updates on Mr. Rui

Three years had passed since we last saw Mr. Rui cheng-kang, ...

The fall from grace must be especially hard for that arrogant upstart Rui Chenggang, anchor of CCTV2, whom the media once hailed as the next most important young person to watch in China, likely to be most influential.  He was instrumental in getting Starbucks out of the Forbidden City, even had a book about his achievements published.
After his disappearnce from the TV screen, nothing was heard about him.
Thanks for the update, assuming it is acurrate.  Many must be wondering what happened to him, what were his crimes and punishment!  In the West, the fate of such a prominent public face who suddenly disappeared could never be covered up, but this is China!

Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 2017-11-14 15:29:50

pnp Post time: 2017-11-14 13:02
It is never my habit to correct posters' English; I just ignore their mistakes, looking only at th ...

Pretending to take the high road? But why fired the parting shot?

Author: cmknight    Time: 7 DayEarlier

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-14 11:38

The term is still being used by your fellow westerner ...

Trust me, little boy ... I am not the only one ...

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-14 10:47
It is that many of your western folks are much much worse, who can't even speak decent English, bu ...

Not my fault you idiots are hell-bent on having a white face in the classroom. Heck, most of you can't even speak English well enough to be able to discern what is bad English and what is good English. We foreign teachers have been suggesting for years that you don't hire teachers who are not native speakers, yet you insist. "This is China. We do things differently here". You made your bed. Now you lie in it.

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-14 11:16
It is all rigmarole.

More examples:

If you are going to quote, state who you are quoting from. These mean nothing.

I have neither the time, nor the crayons, to explain this to you any further. Suffice it to say ... You are one of the people I mention in my taglines.
Author: seneca    Time: 7 DayEarlier

robert237 Post time: 2017-11-13 20:01
Where does the US rank in Chinese language proficiency, save for the Chinese who
have moved to the U ...

You might get an idea if you Google under "Amdarin", a new Chinese variety on the block and fast growing.

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-14 00:27
Sorry, my friend, but here in North America, the words "Stomatology" and "Stomatological" are not  ...

I admit defeat!

As a Westerner I have grown thick-skinned enough to ignore ignorant comments by Easterners about us or who they perceive to be "us". But one thing does annoy most Europeans: when ignorant people talk about N America and refer to it as "The West".

To some, the political "West" comprises as diverse nations as Japan, S Korea, Singapore and Europe along with N America and Australia plus New Zealand.

To others, "the West" may signify the Nato alliance only.

Now check the CD prose to see how they use the term "The West" (usually with a lower-case "w"). There is some cold-war-ish there. In the West you don't hear "The East" or "the Communist Bloc" these days.

Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 7 DayEarlier

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-15 08:16
Trust me, little boy ... I am not the only one ...

Trust you? You have yet to prove you are trustworthy.

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-15 08:21
Not my fault you idiots are hell-bent on having a white face in the classroom. Heck, most of you c ...

Using nasty words? The truth cuts you to the quick? And you pull out all the stops to defend your fellow westerners?
It is fine, leastways, you concur that lousy foreign teachers should pack up and leave.

By the way, watch your language, it is inappropriate for a man as old as you to be so petulant.

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-15 08:25
I have neither the time, nor the crayons, to explain this to you any further. Suffice it to say .. ...

You hightail it, old man.

Though now you can catch your breath in your treehouse decorated in pastels, you still have to grow up.

seneca Post time: 2017-11-15 09:28
As a Westerner I have grown thick-skinned enough to ignore ignorant comments by Easterners about ...

South Africa is not one of them, so you can't claim to be a westerner.

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-15 12:17
South Africa is not one of them, so you can't claim to be a westerner.

Sou Africa? Did I mention that? Go back to my post. Nothing can undermine the fact that I am a WESTERNER.
Author: dostoevskydr    Time: 7 DayEarlier

seneca Post time: 2017-11-15 09:19
I admit defeat!

A rare sight......
Author: dostoevskydr    Time: 7 DayEarlier

This post was edited by dostoevskydr at 2017-11-15 19:08
cmknight Post time: 2017-11-15 08:21
Not my fault you idiots are hell-bent on having a white face in the classroom. Heck, most of you c ...

"We foreign teachers have been suggesting for years that you don't hire teachers who are not native speakers..."

This article will explore the “native vs non-native” topic from a balanced perspective, and it will attempt to separate fact from fiction. Are native speakers really better, and if so, in what areas and why? What are the advantages of being a non-native when teaching English?

Are Native English Speakers Really Better Teachers?

Author: cmknight    Time: 6 DayEarlier

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-15 11:39
Using nasty words? The truth cuts you to the quick? And you pull out all the stops to defend your  ...
By the way, watch your language, it is inappropriate for a man as old as you to be so petulant.

You are neither old enough, nor intelligent enough, to tell me what to do. I am who I am. I don't need to please you.
Author: cmknight    Time: 6 DayEarlier

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-15 11:58
You hightail it, old man.

Though now you can catch your breath in your treehouse decorated in pa ...

Put a sock in it, little boy.
Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 6 DayEarlier

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-16 10:02
You are neither old enough, nor intelligent enough, to tell me what to do. I am who I am. I don' ...

You being as old as the hills means you are at the end of your wits.

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-16 10:03
Put a sock in it, little boy.

I just choose to be polite by waving goodbye at your.

Have a good time in your treehouse, old man.

seneca Post time: 2017-11-15 15:35
Sou Africa? Did I mention that? Go back to my post. Nothing can undermine the fact that I am a W ...

You are as western as the Indians at most, but much more southern than anybody else.
Author: seneca    Time: 6 DayEarlier

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-16 16:42
You are as western as the Indians at most, but much more southern than anybody else.

Go climb the palm tree and eat the bananas. I know myself, you don't have that privilege. I am a 100% Westerner, and unlike you foreign transplant,  I didn't emigrate to a Western country to raise my standard of living.

This post was edited by Liononthehunt at 2017-11-16 21:59
seneca Post time: 2017-11-16 19:41
Go climb the palm tree and eat the bananas. I know myself, you don't have that privilege. I am a 1 ...

You've got to be staggeringly southern, as whenever you are questioned about your claim of being a westerner, you go bananas.
Author: seneca    Time: 5 DayEarlier

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-16 21:47
You've got to be staggeringly southern, as whenever you are questioned about your claim of being a  ...

Just because you have changed your avatar picture does not mean your fat jowls no longer compress your heart valves. Be careful not to stop the blood flow into and out of your heart or we may never see your meaningless posts here in future.

Author: Liononthehunt    Time: 5 DayEarlier

seneca Post time: 2017-11-17 10:16
Just because you have changed your avatar picture does not mean your fat jowls no longer compres ...

Pretending to be something you are not could be too much of an exertion for you. Take care, pal.

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-17 10:46
Pretending to be something you are not could be too much of an exertion for you. Take care, pal. ; ...

Yes, and that applies to everyone, including YOU. But pretending to be who I really am takes no sweat, and that's what I am doing. It's tough enough in an environment peopled by bigots and wannabe know-everything-betters.

seneca Post time: 2017-11-17 10:52
Yes, and that applies to everyone, including YOU. But pretending to be who I really am takes no  ...

You will see one of the poor souls when you look at a mirror.

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-17 11:04
You will see one of the poor souls when you look at a mirror.

I look in the mirror at least three times a day, when I am brushing my teeth; each time I see more reason to be proud of me and to spit on worms that masquerade under a lion's costume to get a little respect.

seneca Post time: 2017-11-17 11:06
I look in the mirror at least three times a day, when I am brushing my teeth; each time I see mo ...

Any recipient of your respect would see it as an embarrassment.
Author: cmknight    Time: 5 DayEarlier

Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-16 10:57
You being as old as the hills means you are at the end of your wits.

Give it a rest, motormouth.

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-17 13:34

Hi, old man, what are the chances ! Fancy meeting you here.

What are you doing here? Your treehouse fell apart and now you have nowhere to go?

cmknight Post time: 2017-11-17 13:34

Hi, old man, what are the chances ! Fancy meeting you here.

What are you doing here? Your treehouse fell apart and now you have nowhere to go?

Welcome Chinadaily Forum (http://bbs.chinadaily.com.cn/) Powered by Discuz! X2