Author: serenades

Do you think Chinese is a ‘super-hard language’?   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-10 16:37:00 |Display all floors
ngajia Post time: 2017-11-10 14:48
There is a confusing mix up in timing in a statement made by an educated scholar from where ... wh ...

Suffer under amnesia?

He was asked to provide some specific book name and author, on books written by foreigners in Chinese

She (who goes by the name of "ngajia") mentioned "names" and not "books"; I provided three names:
- Two Italian ones
- One German

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 16:40:45 |Display all floors
There is a confusing mix up in timing in a statement made by an educated scholar from where ... wh ...

Further she bleated:

. Was it fortuitous that this scholar added a "g" after Qin(秦),because between Qin with or without  a "g",  there is a time difference of almost 2000 years. The avoidance of this mistake saved the scholar  from becoming a laughing stock.

???

What a gratuitously redundant comment! What has "Qing" to do with "Qin"??? The two eras are 18 centuries apart. Ying Zheng had his famous terracotta riders and horses made - inspired by Greeks and perhaps taught his workers by Greek or Greco-Bactrian masons.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 16:46:41 |Display all floors

Quote from Mademoiselle Ngajia's diary?
" ... he was asked to provide some specific book name and author..."

Mademoiselle Ngajia's querulous post is highly at variance with the query she posted to me quoted as follows:

Please provide some specific names as example. It would be very interesting to see how they managed to write in Classical Chinese, because all writings before 1911 was classical in style.  Few understand Classical Chinese (文言文) today.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 19:46:03 |Display all floors
The use of Pinyin would make Mandarin more practical and easy.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 20:13:55 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-10 16:46
Quote from Mademoiselle Ngajia's diary?
" ... he was asked to provide some specific book name and ...

Beat around the bush and start bleating when you have no coherent answers. That's what often happens!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 20:57:17 |Display all floors
ngajia Post time: 2017-11-10 20:13
Beat around the bush and start bleating when you have no coherent answers. That's what often happe ...

You are like an eel eating itself from its tail end.

Anyway, my posts are categorical: your belief that no Westerners had translated from Western sources to Chinese in the 19th century is wrong. Westerners learnt Chinese as early as the 16th century. And they translated from Latin to Chinese even though Latin was not their first language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-11 06:26:03 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-10 20:57
You are like an eel eating itself from its tail end.

Anyway, my posts are categorical: your be ...

If you still have a comprehension problem, simply provide your answer in the following format:

Name of book or writings in Chinese = ?
Name of foreign author for the same = ?

Don't beat around the bush to hide your lack of accurate knowledge. The purpose is to locate them or photocopies thereof, in some library, including the British Library , Russel Square, London.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.