Author: serenades

Do you think Chinese is a ‘super-hard language’?   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-10 13:58:45 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-11-10 12:25
And what makes you to reach this "conclusion"?

... my experience and the tales of hundreds of others who told me.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2017-11-10 14:03:07 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-10 13:58
... my experience and the tales of hundreds of others who told me.

Native Chinese = ? Numbers ? 000's ? 100's of 000's ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 14:09:06 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-11-10 14:03
Native Chinese = ? Numbers ? 000's ? 100's of 000's ?

What's China's rank currently in the English First list of proficiency by nations? It's about place 36 out of 80...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 14:48:41 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-10 09:36
It is a universally known fact that in the early decades of Qing rule the JESUITs were the only  ...

There is a confusing mix up in timing in a statement made by an educated scholar from where ... what is the spread of the Afrikaan settlement (?). He says " It is universally known fact in the early decade of Qing rule that the JESUITS were the only Christian missionaries not just tolerated but welcomed by China. ...." The universal mix up shows up as follows:

1. Qing rule started in China in 1644, whereas Italian Jesuit priest Matteo Ricci, (利玛窦, his Chiese name) came to China in 1583, proselytizing, a good 61 years  before the Qing dynasty even came into existence. It's like saying Ted Heath had a romantic relationship with Terasa May - a problem with timing.
2. Was it fortuitous that this scholar added a "g" after Qin(秦),because between Qin with or without  a "g",  there is a time difference of almost 2000 years. The avoidance of this mistake saved the scholar  from becoming a laughing stock.
3. He was asked to provide some specific book name and author, on books written by foreigners in Chinese. He came back with a "universal" statement as shown in 1 above; no book  no author, just some universal knowledge repeated after others.
4. I suggest that he look up in the Chinese English dictionary what 鱼目混珠 means, and also into a mirror to discover what an self styled expert might look like.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2017-11-10 14:48:54 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-10 14:09
What's China's rank currently in the English First list of proficiency by nations? It's about pla ...

and your reference is "EF English Proficiency Index"?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 16:28:31 |Display all floors
dostoevskydr Post time: 2017-11-10 14:48
and your reference is "EF English Proficiency Index"?

Most Chinese seem to think English is the mostest difficultest language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-10 16:34:52 |Display all floors
ngajia Post time: 2017-11-10 14:48
There is a confusing mix up in timing in a statement made by an educated scholar from where ... wh ...

Hey sfphoto: did YOU know that the JESUITS came to CHINA to share Western scientific knowledge, yes or no?

There was no "mix-up" of periods in my post even though you were right in pointing out that the Qing dynasty started in 1644 whereas the Jesuits started going to China at the tail end of the Ming era. I said "in the first few decades of the Qing" time the Jesuits taught the Chinese maths, Aristotles, astronomy and others stuff. There is no mistake there.

What is important is that JESUITS were WESTERNERS who learnt Chinese in CHINA and then translated their works into Chinese in China. There was no Confucius Institute at that time at the University of Bologna...

I think you are not Chinese because you don't seem to know much about China's history!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.