Views: 305|Replies: 6

Does US have 'mental health problem' or gun problem? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-7 09:32:13 |Display all floors
US President Donald Trump declared that the shooting in Sutherland Springs, Tex., that left at least 26 people dead was not “a guns situation,” saying instead he believed that “mental health” was the problem. President Trump, who is travelling in Asia, said, "We have a lot of mental health problems in our country, as do other countries, but this isn't a guns situation." He called the gunman "deranged," indicating the shooting represented a "mental health problem at the highest level."
If Devin Kelley had a mental health problem, then why was he allowed to purchase a firearm in the first place? If the mentally disturbed have no access to guns, fewer mass killings will happen. What's your view?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-7 09:32:26 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Happiest Member

Post time 2017-11-7 09:39:31 |Display all floors
They need emotional and temper control and more socialization than gun control. I support their gun laws.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-7 10:38:13 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-11-7 09:32

Donald Trump spoke like a US. American commoner: he said people have "mental problems". This is a dangerous slip. It implies that as soon as someone acts out of common character he is a psychological patient and such patients deserve to be segregated from society or even eliminated. The U.S> Americans use the word "sick" as a label to denigrate others.

This mindset is the basis of most societal problems in the U.S.A. and fuels all kinds of hatred.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-7 10:41:09 |Display all floors
Donald Trump also added that "like other countries" - mental problems are a universal problem. That's his idea, and if you subscribe to such an idea you will not do much to stem it. It is, after all and according to Donald Trump, a "human problem". We are born with mental issues.

Of course, mental problems can be inherited but most likely they are not present in your family. They are the effect of cultural conditioning.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-9 02:38:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ted180 at 2017-11-8 13:40

I could accept licensed hunting rifles for civilians. But not easily-concealed hand-guns, not automatic weapons, not body-armor. It's impossible to detect and register all the mentally-ill people. I think the US will gradually restrict the "right to bear arms" - starting with large mags and automatic weapons. I really think the US government (or state governments) should SUE the NRA.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-9 04:59:13 |Display all floors
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.