Views: 29314|Replies: 26

China ranked 2nd in world as expat destination for career progression [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-4 12:33:17 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 12:33:49 |Display all floors
China ranks second in the world as an expat destination for career progression, only after the U.S., said the Expat Explorer Survey recently issued by HSBC.

The survey invited more than 27,500 expats in over 150 countries and regions this year to share their experiences in different areas ranging from personal finance to living conditions.

More than 70% of the foreigners living in China believe that the country has offered a broader vocational prospect for them, up 16% since last year.

Half of the foreigners said they have developed new skills after coming to the country, and 55% of them had their disposable income raised.

Higher income is the reason why Indian software engineer surnamed Jayanth decided to work here. “I don’t have to compete much thanks to the rich public resources here,” he said, adding that he will have more opportunities when he returns to his home country because of his working experience in China.

Dominic Morgan, who comes from UK and now works in the media industry in Shanghai, noted that China is set to become the most important country and market in the world and that Chinese enterprises would also become very strong in overseas markets.

Though his income is less in China than that in the UK, the cost of living is much lower here, Morgan said, adding that his life experiences have also been enriched.

Thanks to the rapid development, China is gradually narrowing the gap between itself and the developed countries, said Chen Wei, head of Zhangjiang Platform Economy Research Institute. The country is offering more opportunities for foreigners with improved environment and policies, Chen added.

Shanghai, for instance, has always been one of the hottest cities in China for foreign talents. By the first half of this year, a total of 896 high-level foreign talents in the city have been recruited by the Thousand Talents Plan, a recruitment program for global experts.

In addition, more than 140,000 foreigners are currently working and studying in Shanghai, and the city has become a permanent residence for 93,000 foreign experts.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-5 09:59:57 |Display all floors

There are a number of misleading or false over-generalisations in that piece, for example:

More than 70% of the foreigners living in China believe that the country has offered a broader vocational prospect for them, up 16% since last year.

China has very little to do with a foreigner's "broader vocational prospect" since they work for a company in their home country and are in China on loan. It goes without saying that if you return from such a stint you get most likely a pay raise and a promotion. To come to China means to accept hardships and expats must be remunerated generously with compensations for such hardships. One such compensation often is tuition for the epat's child or children to attend an international school.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-5 11:54:37 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-5 09:59
There are a number of misleading or false over-generalisations in that piece, for example:

Admittedly, there is some truth to your remarks about the foreign expats who come to work in China with multi-national companies' China operations. For example, they do get compensation for being relocated from their home bases, which is a common practice a world over.

However, are you aware that among the foreign workers in China, most of them hail from hick towns, podunks, small villages where their companies set up businesses, and coming to work in China is really an eye-opening experience, especially when they are based in Shanghai, Beijing or other megacities in China. After 3 or 5 years in China, they would morph from yokels into something of a metrosexual.

I once ran into a guy from Schweifurt, which boasted the third highest per capita incomes in Germany who candidly told me that around 3 years of life in Shanghai had made returning to work in the dull, dreary Schweinfurt unthinkable, and he would try hard to renew his international assignment contract after it expired.

Specifically for the expats with young kids in tow, international school is probably the biggest draw, which they simply could not afford back home.

Generally those guys are enjoying their lives in China, if they are up to the task regarding competence and networking. Natch, not everybody blooms in China, there are some weaklings and losers who will eventually leave China embarrassed and mortified.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2017-11-5 12:17:36 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-4 17:59

I've been to China for the company I used to work for several times  and never received a pay raise
as a result.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-5 12:33:20 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2017-11-5 12:17
I've been to China for the company I used to work for several times  and never received a pay rais ...

Well, Senny is very predictable after all...

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2017-11-5 12:39:09 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2017-11-4 20:33
Well, Senny is very predictable after all...

But I did enjoy the workers eager to help me in the most polite way.
I am no manager but felt like one for those few days.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.