Views: 6027|Replies: 2

Chinese V.I.P. Drank Fake 1878 Vintage Whiskey [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-3 16:07:28 |Display all floors
Macallan ‘is a fake’

07 August 2017 by Richard Woodard

The $10,000 measure of Macallan 1878 vintage Scotch whisky bought at a St Moritz hotel nine days ago was a fake, according to experts.

Costly counterfeit?: There is growing evidence that the 1878 Macallan is a fake
The unnamed Chinese guest paid CHF9,999 (US$10,277) for a 2cl measure of the single malt in the Devil’s Place bar at the Hotel Waldhaus am See in St Moritz, Switzerland, on 29 July.
Now the hotel has launched a full investigation after a number of whisky enthusiasts raised concerns about the authenticity of the Macallan bottle, and may take legal action over the matter. Macallan owner Edrington has also promised to help with the inquiry.
‘On Thursday I got some information from a whisky expert that this bottle could be a fake,’ said Sandro Bernasconi, manager of the hotel. ‘I’ve done some research and talked to different people.
‘Yesterday [Friday] I called the Chinese guest to tell him that it could be a fake and said we would give the money back [if it is]. It’s very important to us to find out if it’s a real bottle or if it’s a fake.’
He added: ‘We’re open to find out the truth. If we had known it before, we would never have sold it.’
The labels on the dark-coloured glass bottle state that the whisky was distilled in 1878, and was matured for 27 years.
A ‘rare Speyside malt’, it claims to be ‘guaranteed absolutely pure by Roderick Kemp, proprietor, Macallan and Talisker Distilleries Ltd’.
Serge Valentin, experienced collector and founder of the Whiskyfun website, raised a number of issues related to the bottle, including the condition of the cork and label paper (‘too new’) and the accuracy of many of the details on the label.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-3 16:09:32 |Display all floors

Just read in some Swiss daily that hotelier Mister Bernasconi went to China to meet up with his Chinese guest to apologise and return the money for the 02 litre glass of whiskey that was supposed to be vintage Macall 1878 but may have been distilled in the 1970s.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 12:16:03 |Display all floors

The buyer's name has also been revealed: one Zhang Wei, a successful writer of fiction.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.