Views: 721|Replies: 8

Whose job is it to teach kids – teachers or parents? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-3 13:55:20 |Display all floors

(China Plus) Recent years have seen the growth in what's sometimes called 'Parental Homework,' where teachers have encouraged mothers and fathers to correct homework on their behalf, and guide their children's study, piling yet more concern on already busy parents.

A recent survey of 2001 parents (71.5% of which had young children or were parents of primary school students) showed that 81.8% were lumbered with 'parental homework.' A call for an end to checking and signing off on children's homework was supported by 79.3% of those questioned.

The practice of signing their names in exercise books as a way to prove that they had joined in their children's study process, surfaced in the last 10 years. The original intention was to create more opportunities for parents to interact with their children. However, simply signing their names soon expanded into the expectation that they had to correct the homework instead of the teachers.

According to the survey, the majority believe the main responsibility of parents is to shape their child's personality and character. Teachers, they believe, should stick to teaching, and rely less on parents.

Undoubtedly, parents have the responsibility of engaging in their children's education. But to what extent parents should get involved in?

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2017-11-3 21:07:18 |Display all floors
What I see most of the time for a lot of middle school and nearly all high school kids is the parents dropping them off on Sunday afternoon and not seeing their kid again for 5 days.
If you want FREE English lessons every day, add me on WeChat.
My WeChat ID: BigTEXZZ

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-3 21:17:35 |Display all floors
Who's to say the parents know all the correct answers?  Certainly I would agree that the parents should instill proper study habits and supervise their study.  Parents need to help their children develop social skills and graces, build character and independence, build confidence and self-esteem.  When my 3 kids were in school, I would check their homework every night... sometimes questioning their answers and having them re-look or re-read questions or text... sometimes offering suggestions with a thorough explanation and when necessary showing them how to solve math problems/equations.  I didn't do my kids' homework for them by any means, but I made sure they understood it and how to solve problems and arrive at answers.  Showed them how to use encyclopedias, dictionaries and a thesaurus... pre-internet days.  Yes, that is time consuming, particularly for a single-parent, but I instilled in them the importance of learning and developing good study habits.  It comes with parenting... it is a responsibility of raising a child.  Leave teaching academics to the teacher.  A lot of parents today simply aren't cut for it; they're too lazy or too busy... and unfortunately with the latter it's because of social media.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 04:36:02 |Display all floors
BOTH. Society has a legitimate interest in influencing children to become good citizens. Not all parents are competent to do this. Children are not the "property" of parents. They are also independent people and also important as members of the wider society. School is an agent of society. Not only to impart knowledge and practical skills - but also to mold children as citizens.
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Happiest Member

Post time 2017-11-4 06:32:36 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2017-11-4 06:36
BOTH. Society has a legitimate interest in influencing children to become good citizens. Not all par ...

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 08:31:01 |Display all floors
this is special phenomenon from Chinese education system.

life is colorful with you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 09:47:00 |Display all floors
mbursian Post time: 2017-11-3 21:17
Who's to say the parents know all the correct answers?  Certainly I would agree that the parents sho ...

Excellent.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.