Author: JamesYao

Why do not I believe that Western democracy system is good for all countries?   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-2 14:16:27 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-2 14:08
The democracies in the Philippines and the west are just 2 peas in a pod in form...

So YOU think...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 05:19:53 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-1 00:07
The west has become sort of a homogeneous entity with so-called democracy being a universally accep ...

The "Western democracy" has been "imperfect" of course. Even in the US, Trump won because of its imperfections. And Germany was a "Western democracy" before Hitler ruined it in the 1930's. The fact that the Philippines has also failed doesn't invalidate the "basic model". Look at Japan. the ROK, Taiwan and Singapore - which have been more successful. Success requires hard work - and good luck!
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 11:16:05 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-2 14:08
The democracies in the Philippines and the west are just 2 peas in a pod in form...

You are blind to reality. Even in nominally communist China talk is about the future of "democracy", not about a future for dictatorship.

It is insulting to say "The West" implying that every Western nation has had the same history. Whether a democracy works or not depends on the nation's past. For a democratic system to work without too much friction the differences between the social components must be minimal. In a place like the Philippines this is not possible. There are traditional aristocrats that own the largest part of the nation's resources, especially land, and then there are the paupers. How can they find a common denominator in politics? They pursue diametrically opposite ends in politics. In a modern industrial nation such as Germany democracy is ideal. In China I am afraid democracy is not a good idea

The original poster of this thread does not seem to understand this. He must have had illusions about the healing power of democracy for the wounds of a developing nation such as China in his youth. You should not ask 'What can the country/democracy do for me?' but rather: 'What can I do for democracy/my country?'

People like him are too passive and won't make it work.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 17:31:55 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2017-11-4 05:19
The "Western democracy" has been "imperfect" of course. Even in the US, Trump won because of its i ...

You are using the wrong references to make your case.
ROK has plunged into political turmoil, with all their democratically elected presidents facing criminal charges after they stepped down or was impeached, and if you are history-savvy, you should know that their economical takeoff has nothing to do with the so-called democracy.
Singapore essentially is under what is called an authoritarian regime, a perfect example of pseudo democracy, but its economy has been booming.
I even don't bother to pick fault with Taiwan's democracy, which is a farce, and has done nothing more than dividing the people and stunting its economical growth.
Democracy is apparently not for those peoples.
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 17:38:26 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-4 11:16
You are blind to reality. Even in nominally communist China talk is about the future of "democra ...

Paradoxical ...
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 20:05:34 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-4 17:38
Paradoxical ...

Yes, your post kind of was paradoxical... Why did you post it in the first place?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-4 20:17:59 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-4 17:31
You are using the wrong references to make your case.
ROK has plunged into political turmoil, with ...

A very insincere summarization of the democracies of Southeast Asia... If any of the several SE Asian democracies mentioned by Ted did not have controlling mehanisms to check the president and to elect parliamentarians you could bet that there would be many riots and as a consequence, a considerably less stable government as well as a lower standard of living.

What needs to be remembered is that democracy came AFTER the standard of living of the workers had been sufficiently lifted to make it clear to the blue-collars that they actually have a stake in economics and governance of their country.

In China the circumstances are wholly different. The government is after long last doing its job, which is to look after people's living conditions. The common people thus can concentrate all their elan on improving their lot without giving any thoughts to politics. This is an Eldorado situation for them - but just wait until raising the standard of living for the lower classes no longer is as easy as it is now... In countries such as Taiwan and S Korea, the economic conditions of the people no longer are a big concern. They have proven to their brothers across the border of divided nations hat their lifestyle is more successful in economic terms. Now they want to improve other aspects of their lives, such as individual rights, quality of life, environment, spiritual affairs, culture. None of these things seem to matter in China. Everybody just focuses on amassing money. Culture, human dignity, intellectual autonomy all take a backseat. The good Chinese people are mere pupils obeying their autocratic teacher who in turn lavishes rich material rewards on them.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.