Author: JamesYao

Why do not I believe that Western democracy system is good for all countries?   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-1 21:11:45 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2017-11-1 15:38
Western-style democracy, looks good but only on paper.
As you said, it would be the best when open ...

Why does democracy have to be perfect? Reading your two contributions one could feel you are a a prisoner in a democratic system, an immigrant in spite of yourself. Why can't foreign residents like you accept that democracy is a human-made construct that changes with time as people do? Any democratic system is as good as the people that support it. You seem to be belittling the people that host you.

This is different from a dictatorship which is run top-down and which presents at least as bad flaws as the worst democracy may do. There also is the slight possibility that a dictatorship actually benefits the common people - but this is very, very rare. The one advantage that any democracy has over dictatorships is that THE MASSES CAN HELP SHAPE IT while in a dictatorship the masses are shaped by the dictator. No wonder most masses want to shake off their dictator but no people want to shake off democracy.

And look at the contradiction in this gem of yours:

Now let's talk about the press in the west that is far from free and independent as you claim it is. I bet you know the media outlet Huffington Post, which just consistently casts Donald Trump in a negative light, no matter what he said and what he did, is it an objective and balanced approach to journalism, though I am not a fan of the US president myself?

In a dictatorship the media CAN N O T treat the dictator at the helm of their country like the democratic media in the West do Donald Trump.

Sure, some journalists have been going over the top in their persecution of the U.S. president but isn't this preferable to having journalists grovel in front of the ruler?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-1 21:20:51 |Display all floors
Mishao Post time: 2017-11-1 20:44
The remanants of democracy's demise can be found in Iceland, Lichtenstein and the like. The reality  ...

Democracy is alive and kicking. It has been for thousands of years. But yes, it seems it is in recess in some countries. Don't worry - if the U.S.A. abandons it China will pick up the reins and introduce its interpretation of "democracy" and everybody will applaud. The Comrades have been claiming for years they were constructing democracy with Chinese characteristics... Some of us remember the miraculous history of Wukang village in Guangdong...

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2017-11-2 07:25:53 |Display all floors
I would suggest that you not compare Chinese 'communism' to Soviet communism. They are two entirely different things. I've spent a lot of time in Russia and know very well that every Russian person I've met (which numbers in the hundreds) hated the Soviet era. To this day, they see it as the darkest period of their county's history. The fact is, the Russians never allowed economic capitalism into their system. It was doomed and destined to fail. Fortunately, China had one man who saved it from total economic collapse and turned it into massive economic prosperity. That great man was Deng. Without his opening up and reforms in 1976, China would have gone down the same path.

Your points are valid points regarding the West. However, they aren't strong points for judging an entire system of government in comparing it with another. As someone noted, it seems that a middle school student could present far more compelling points for not liking Western democracy. You have a great attention getting title, but you fall far short in proving or even arguing you thesis.
If you want FREE English lessons every day, add me on WeChat.
My WeChat ID: BigTEXZZ

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-2 08:54:41 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-2 13:55:04 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-11-1 15:58
A good example of Western-style "democracy" system is in the Philippines. They have freedom of speec ...

That was NOT a "good example" of a democracy. May I suggest you read the title anew to see what the topic is all about? It's about WESTERN democracy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-2 14:01:26 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-11-1 15:58
A good example of Western-style "democracy" system is in the Philippines. They have freedom of speec ...

Here is an enlightening reply to inform you of a real existing and working Western democracy: the Swiss democracy.

It is the political system of an arch-capitalistic society with very charitable institutions and the Western world's highest standard of living.

Its citizens are asked to take part in referenda or plebiscites four times a year plus all the routine elections. Democracy works because the central authority plays a minor role in the lives of the citizens; since the country is a confederation the citizens identify more with their home turfs. There are four languagees that define four distinct areas, all held together by a common will to stay united.

The Swiss haven't gone to war for ca. two centuries and there is no revolutionary fervor to change things to a collectivist nation even though Lenin spent years there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-2 14:08:10 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-2 13:55
That was NOT a "good example" of a democracy. May I suggest you read the title anew to see what  ...

The democracies in the Philippines and the west are just 2 peas in a pod in form...
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.