Views: 45346|Replies: 77

Why do not I believe that Western democracy system is good for all countries?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-1 08:19:16 |Display all floors

Being the lastcentury 80's college students, we fell under the influence of western thought. Whenwe studied in the college, we read the book of Jean-Paul Sartre, Arthur Schopenhauer,Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, and watched the River Elegy. In our mind, the Westis heaven, the Western democratic system is the best political system ofmankind.

Now, I am 52year-old, also live and work abroad for more than 20 years, I have been to manycountries, also read more books.

Why do not Ibelieve in Western democracy? The follow is reason.

First of all,Dissolution of the Soviet Union gave me the first shock, I thought thatDissolution of the Soviet Union would bring rich and liberty to Russian, but Iam wrong. Russia was fading fast, at the same time, the Western country group didnot welcome Russian.

Second ofall, in 2001, the Sino-US military aircraft collided in the South China Sea, Chinapilots Wang Hai fell down in the sea. But the western media only reported that theUS aircraft soldiers were detained by China, we cannot find out the news ofWang Hai missing in any western media. In fact Those US soldiers taking intocustody in Hainan Island stayed a hotel to eat and drink, and Wang Hai disappearedin the cold sea. Wang Hai also has parents, wife and children. This time, I sawthe hypocrisy of the Western media.

Third ofall, the Arab Spring in 2011, the western democracy system brought the Arabworld great disaster.

Fourth ofall, the New York Times and other Western media, no matter how much China'sachievements, they can see China's evil. Improvement of China is greatdevelopment of the mankind history since the industrial revolution.

I do notthink that China's political system is perfect, but I think Western arrogancemakes them turn a blind eye to China's achievements.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-1 08:52:16 |Display all floors
Whether its democracy or communism both are Western creations. Any system is a human made one. Since human in the first place is imperfect, so how can the system they design and build be perfect?

Yes, your Chinese predicament is real. Little is spoken of China's or Chinese plight but when it is a Western one, they made it sound so bombastically pitiful even though that isn't at all the case. Westerners in reality know less and they trust their media even when their media is meting out half-truths only. Conversely many Asians have access to both the Eastern and the Western views, although China is lacking a bit here even though a good number of them somehow have access to foreign news unofficially and thus Asians including Chinese are better informed. Over time Asians in particular the Chinese will make better decisions. The South Koreans and the South East Asians, especially the Singaporeans enjoy substantial information as compared to Westerners.

The fact that what Western media portrays affect your emotion, goes to show that the Chinese media and Asian media have a long way to catch up. The Chinese media should not cover up the dirt in their backyard. This is a starting point. Next they need to have greater freedom to mete out news. The crux of the matter is objective reporting. But all these will take a long time as China's domestic environment have not adjusted to this sort of reporting style yet. China should know they have no choice because China now matters to the whole world and with it many will assess the China quality where media is one important aspect.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-1 09:01:02 |Display all floors

Your post has some merit. The first one is: it is LONG. Too long perhaps. If "good" equates with "long", then "too long" does the opposite: it is not too good.

But your topic does deserve a certain length. However, you did not present it in a cogent or coherent manner. It reads like a thirteen-year old's essay on current world affairs. It's no rational argumentation about democracy's failures.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-1 09:13:07 |Display all floors

Your youthful infatuation with Western culture in 1980s China was, perhaps, a little immature and naive. I can well understand it, though: China was a dismal cultural desert, the West was a colourful kaleidoscope of many lifestyles cohabiting in peace and freedom.

But just because China was so backward does not mean democracy can lift it to more a attractive way of life.
Democracy could never take off in China WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU. This is not meant derogatorily It simply means that having been brought up in conformist China where the top dog shepherds all the little dogs under pain of Draconian punishments, you would never have been capable of making a rational, educated decision in politics or in electing officials.

It takes quite some education to be a good patriotic democratic citizen. Even in the West such good people are not exactly in the majority...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-1 09:19:45 |Display all floors

I think if such trivial observations have taken root in your mind, you are certainly not fit to be a good patriotic democratic citizen of any country;

Those US soldiers taking intocustody in Hainan Island stayed a hotel to eat and drink, and Wang Hai disappearedin the cold sea. Wang Hai also has parents, wife and children. This time, I sawthe hypocrisy of the Western media.

Wang Hai's fate was intrinsically tied to his job as a military pilot. I am sure his death was mentioned in the Western media I am absolutely positive about that.

When it comes to suppressing deaths of people, the Chinese rulers have always been Number One. Did you know that there was a Chinese commander, Hao Chao (I may have to check his name again) who was so successful on battlefields he wanted to rise in the hierarchy and eventually become emperor; his wish was not granted and in fury he led his units to Guangzhou and massacred a quarter of a MILLION foreign residents This happened towards the end of the Tang dynasty and was then reported by the famous travel writer Battutin. You will no doubt try in vain to find mention of this incident in your history books...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-1 09:20:46 |Display all floors

One post is missing as I write... What gives? I will add numbers again...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-1 09:26:51 |Display all floors
No. 4

your single criticism...

Third ofall, the Arab Spring in 2011, the western democracy system brought the Arabworld great disaster

... shows how immature and naive you were made in China.
You don't seem to have thought this over.

The West could live very well with neighbours who are not democratic if these neighbouring countries' peoples were free and happy. Unfortunately, the regimes in place always cause their citizens to seek salvation in democratic countries, in this case: in Europe. It is in our interest and in theirs to establish democratic rule in place of brutal despotic tyrannies.

But yes, the West failed. Is it worse now than it was before? No. It is as bad as ever.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.