Author: Perfumecity

Beautiful Cathedrals That Stood Out the Test of Time [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-4 16:18:31 |Display all floors

Another great building with a religious vocation and architectural appeal is the Alhambra.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2017-11-4 16:45:01 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2017-11-4 00:49

All of those are some mighty money making machines.
I wonder how much the laborers who built these buidlings profited compared to the clergy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-6 10:01:33 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2017-11-4 16:45
All of those are some mighty money making machines.
I wonder how much the laborers who built these b ...

Robert, Dee:r, I know your stance on this mater. Allow me to take a radically different approach. I am agnostic and have seldom been to churches; whenever I have been I went to admire the interior of these buildings.

You never fail to tear majestic structures down to the gutter where the coins fall. Why? Most churches were built a millennium or thereabout ago. The workers engaged to build them generally were paid according to the prevailing custom. They were not forced to work for the church. Churches required large numbers of professionals. The experience gained in building such magnificent structures stood them in good stead. They could capitalise on their reference letters.

Architects were put before a huge challenge: how to build sufficiently stable cathedrals of stone? The churches were built from granite or other suitable stone in order to avoid making them of wood which would have become an easy target for arsonists. Look at the slender walls and the windows that weaken the whole structure! The architects had to work around these challenges by adding pillars and bows in the windows and various ornaments. The peoples for whom the cathedrals were built were Germanic or Celtic or mixed with Romans; thus the ancient knowhow of building high edifices was new to most of them and had to be researched in Roman and Greek literature. Thus an architectural knowhow was transferred from antiquity to the mediaeveal ages and to peoples new to the Roman civilisation. Today their knowhow serves us well too. Think of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and the skyscrapers that became common in the U.S.A. a century ago. Today Asia is replicating that chapter.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-11-7 13:13:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Perfumecity at 2017-11-7 13:15
seneca Post time: 2017-11-4 16:18
Another great building with a religious vocation and architectural appeal is the Alhambra.

Do u mean Alhambra Palace?      

(Image Source: Mafengwo)

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg
Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-7 15:59:24 |Display all floors
Perfumecity Post time: 2017-11-7 13:13
Do u mean Alhambra Palace?      

(Image Source: Mafengwo)

XIe xie again for doing me a great favour by publishing those magnificent pictures.

I do feel slightly ashamed to have to admit that I had always imagined the Alhambra to be a big church converted from an Arab mosque, but it is a place, as I just read up. Shame on me for letting this architectural marvel go by the wayside in Spain without stopping the car to visit it. Yes, it was a PALACE but as the pictures do show, there are elements of religion in the structure.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member 2015 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-11-8 13:06:01 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-7 15:59
XIe xie again for doing me a great favour by publishing those magnificent pictures.

I do feel s ...

Still I think it's a palace not a cathedral or a church. It does luk beautiful.      

U may visit it next time when u go 2 Spain.      
Smile at whatever happens.
任它花开花落,一笑而过!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-9 13:53:55 |Display all floors
When music and painting are silent, only the buildings speak.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.