Author: ceciliazhang

Is Australia a safe place for Chinese students? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-31 12:22:55 |Display all floors
According to the local Autralian Chinese media publications Melbourne Today and Melbourne WeLife, anti-Chinese posters have been plastered around prestigious universities such as Monash University and the University of Melbourne.

Translation: Attention! No Chinese are allowed within this area. If intrusion occurs, deportation will likely happen.

Posters were emblazoned with the National Union of Students (NUS), Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA) and the Monash Students Association Logos (MSA).

The CSSA have already replied that the logos were used without their consent and they do not in anyway support the messages written on the offensive flyers.

Furthermore they reported that the Melbourne International Students Clubs found an hyperlink to the Antipodean Resistance website on the back of one of the flyers.

Antipodean Resistance, a white nationalist group, seem to be the most likely source of these flyers. It is most likely they used the logos of the NUS, MSA and CSSA to spread their hateful messages towards the Chinese community and to sow discord among Melburnians.

No Chinese Allowed” signs seen around universities in Melbourne

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 12:24:52 |Display all floors
NOTES

Asian Australians ‘can’t be themselves’ if they want to succeed

We often hear about the invisible glass ceiling women have to break through to rise to the top in business.

But the “bamboo ceiling” stopping Asian people getting ahead in Australian workplaces is proving an even more intractable problem for our economy.

While people of Asian ethnic origin make up 10 per cent of the Australian population, they hold less than two per cent of senior executive positions in the country’s top 200 companies.

She says Asian employees, especially if they are also women, are expected to be quiet, unthreatening and good at maths type roles. If they don’t conform, they may be labelled as aggressive.

“In a meeting with other executives where you are clearly the stand out odd person, the stereotyping then comes in.

“When you don’t play to that stereotype it means people don’t like you as much. “Getting into leadership, there is a sense you need to have people who want to work with you. That means you can’t be yourself.

“I really try to stay away from stereotyping people because I think it’s dangerous. I think it pigeonholes people and it doesn’t allow you to have vision for what that person can become.”

There are a high number of Asian Australians working in major companies, it’s advancement that’s the problem.

A 2014 report by the Diversity Council of Australia found that Asian people are overrepresented in entry level positions, but the numbers thin out further up the management chain.

Ms Long says many assume that people who look like her “don’t want to be in leadership or that they don’t aspire to more in their careers.”

This systemic discrimination also affects indigenous people, Muslims and the LGBT community.

Workers who are different in some way “have to be twice as good” at what they do just to be seen as equal, Ms Long explains.

“People will say, ‘but we are looking for merit,’ but that’s a trap too ... Merit is a trap. It really depends on who’s defining it.

“I want people to judge me as a human, not as a woman, not as an Asian.”

Ming Long on the bamboo ceiling- Asian Australians’ workplace barrier

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 12:26:08 |Display all floors
Almost a third of young people experienced unfair treatment or discrimination based on their race in the last year, Mission Australia's youth survey has revealed.

A total 22,000 young people aged between 15 and 19 from across the country completed the survey, with 4,000 teenagers saying they spoke a language other than English at home — the most common being Chinese, Vietnamese and Arabic.

When broken down, the survey showed Mandarin-speaking young people experienced the highest rates of racial discrimination, at 90 per cent.

About 80 per cent of Cantonese and Filipino young people reported unfair treatment based on their race.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people were almost twice as likely to report having experienced racial discrimination than their non-Indigenous peers.

The ABC spoke to several young Australians about their experiences.

Abir Islam says: "I have faced discrimination ... regarding my race, because I come from a South Asian background. After a while it ... desensitises you and ... becomes the norm, which is sad."

Mavis Tian says: "I have definitely felt discrimination. Sydney has a lot of Asian tourists and people often think just because you look Asian that you don't speak English and that makes it [okay] to treat you [badly]. A lot of the time you go into shops and people say, 'Oh, watch out for the Asian person ... keep an eye on her.'"

Nancy Li says: "I've always felt there is an undercurrent of [racism] out there ... not many Asian or black women [are] represented in ads or the media"

Noah Leavett-Brown says: "Sometimes my friends will say, 'you Asians came to take over our country' as a joke"

Steven Chen says: "I've experienced racial slurs, mainly back in high school ... Racism is definitely a thing in Australia, I don't think there's any point in denying it"

Racial discrimination in Australia- A third of young people report race based mistreatment   ABC News

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 12:30:00 |Display all floors
Mark Latham calls for 'whites' and 'straights' to take back Australia

The controversial former Labor leader

"Straight people must fight the new militant gay-left

Note: See "White Australia Policy". It was a racist white supremacist ideology. It unleashed a wave of genocide against innocent non-whites. Australia itself was invaded by Caucasian whites and stolen by force.

Mark Latham calls for 'whites' and 'straights' to take back Australia - 9news.com.au

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 12:33:44 |Display all floors

List of massacres of Indigenous Australians - Wikipedia

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-31 14:28:16 |Display all floors
AsianInTheWest Post time: 2017-10-31 12:19
Chinese...wake up please. Seneca is a gas lighting you. He is lying to you. He is deflecting the bla ...

Come on, Fido, you will get your bone but please stop wagging your tail. It is making too much wind here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 16:58:56 |Display all floors
Wow Australia sounds as risky as the U.S. now...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.