Author: ceciliazhang

Is Australia a safe place for Chinese students? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-31 08:03:51 |Display all floors
ngajia Post time: 2017-10-31 06:59
My experience simply expressed: it's Chinese money that is welcome in Australia, not the people.

Perhaps if Chinese people tried a little harder to be as welcome as their money is they would be treated like everyone else... Many Chinese seem to be thinking that their money gives them status and cachet and buys them privileges.

But I doubt this is the case with the students recently attacked in Australia. The case has no signs of nationalist or racist motives.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 08:59:11 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-31 08:03
Perhaps if Chinese people tried a little harder to be as welcome as their money is they would be  ...

It is not necessary for Chinese money to leave Chinese shores to be welcomed. There are those bereft of their Apartheid privileges come knocking on Chinese doors as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 09:11:33 |Display all floors
ngajia Post time: 2017-10-31 06:59
My experience simply expressed: it's Chinese money that is welcome in Australia, not the people.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Plenty of truth in your statement. A very good network between Chinese, Filipinos and Indonesians will help when it comes to Australia. A thriving business network will even be better. It is smart to form investment vehicles between the Chinese and the Indonesians to venture into Australia. After all the Indonesian indigenous heritage should be closely related to those of Australia. Of course there must be enough publicity to educate white Australians who still think they are America's Deputy Sheriffs or US Marshalls or England's Dukes or Marquess. Just ask their indigenous people how their numbers do not surpass the others.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 09:44:31 |Display all floors
ngajia Post time: 2017-10-31 08:59
It is not necessary for Chinese money to leave Chinese shores to be welcomed. There are those bere ...

If you will recall - this thread is about a physical aggression against foreigners in Australia, not about their money. The original poster chose a somewhat ambiguous title. In reality, Chinese STUDENTS are not specifically targeted in hold-ups or robberies. I am sure the aggressors couldn't care less if their victims had fat bank accounts in CHINA. What unfortunately did happen to them in Australia could also have happened to them in CHINA.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 10:29:11 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-31 08:03
Perhaps if Chinese people tried a little harder to be as welcome as their money is they would be  ...

According to your logic, Chinese students should be blamed for the attack cause they make themselves unwelcome in this country. It is totally nonsense. You are stereotyping Chinese students studying abroad as rich and spoiled kids but actually many are from hard-working families who want to explore the world and widen their horizon. In any case it's the one's with the mentality as in 'this is our country get off it', that is the problem. There are enough of them. So I stand by what I say.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 10:32:29 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-30 15:51
If you say "Chinese victims were TARGETED..." you are transforming this case into a race hate cr ...

That begs the question: Why do I hear the rising number of racists in Australia that hit the headlines over and over again ? I need some perspective.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 10:34:28 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-10-31 10:29
According to your logic, Chinese students should be blamed for the attack cause they make themselv ...

I think logic is not your forte. Nowhere did I make even a hint to what you insinuate I was saying. You are twisting my point. I replied to someone with an obvious nationalist bent. You fail to see that nationalism is a major problem with China.

It shows especially in AUSTRALIA. I refer you to Asia Times for a recent article about this. Don't tell me all Chinese students in the West are "hard-working" and polite. many are not. I wouldn't mention the antisocial ones if you didn't try to depict all Chinese as "victims" of biases and whatnot. Most are not victims of anything. BUt in the years since 2013 till now it's become a fashion for China to brand foreign nations as "inhospitable to Chinese" and to blithely ignore some of the causes.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.