Author: ceciliazhang

Do Western media portray China fairly?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-28 03:38:56 |Display all floors
    CNN may be going through another around of cutbacks on its staffing costs. That might be the reason why CNN has to retain this guy because his salary is negligible.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-28 03:51:55 |Display all floors
  I think this guy is Chinese American. Understandably, he'd love to fetch it once CCTV throws a bone. Hi, what are going to do if Bill O’Reilly says he'd love to work for you in China, CCTV's top brass?

The female reporters working at CCTV would have to wear armours if Bill O’Reilly were to join CCTV and host a show called Late Night With  Bill O’Reilly and Harvey Weinstein in China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-28 07:22:24 |Display all floors
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-28 15:45:55 |Display all floors
In my opinion the question is what is fair.

It is quite subjective term to begin with, and everything about west is quite subjective - it is a dimension of individual freedom to think how you want. That's also what western media serves, so there is neither just one media nor one set of news to tell. Even same news can and does get portrayed from different angles depending on which segment the media serves.

It is certainly fair in the sense that the western media portrays their own societies, and foreign societies other than China, quite the same as they do China - whether that's focusing on sensational news and stories or whatever.

But is western media's portrayal of China honest? I think that's much simplre and straightforward path to consider and go to - through honesty to achieve some kind of fairness.

China in many ways is not an honest society, and therefore foreign media with limited access cannot also produce honest commentary about many things. Often they are best guesses and rumours, simply because access to real sources is so restricted.

That gives foreign media more freedom to build sensational stories even about trivial issues in China. If the real information was more readily available, it would bite them in the ass and they would have to adjust their reporting.

I think something like "not angling for compliments" was mentioned in Chinese leader's speech recently, which some optimistic foreigners see as possibility for China to grow tougher skin against dealing with critical reports, rather then blocking those and their reporters out of sight.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2017-10-28 16:34:50 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2017-10-28 00:37

It doesn't matter. When you get older you learn it doesn't matter what anyone or any
group of people think about you.
The American media is a claptrap of opinions spanning the political spectrum and each
entity caters to who those how want to read their opinions.
You can read whatever opinions you seek out.
Nobody can control what you think no matter what nation you're in.
Trump got elected by those who are scared of Mexicans taking their jobs but if all
the Mexicans left there would be no white people willing to pick the vegetables, sew
the cloths, or slaughter and package the meat. The ones who voted to Trump are
all hypocrites. The ones who didn't still wouldn't take that labor.
America is one big hypocritical mess and the media caters to this. For the most part
the US media is tired of blaming China for because US whites are too lazy produce what
China offer at a fair price. They've turned their attention to the laborers from the south
who do all the work the white people wouldn't do unless they were forced to at gunpoint.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-28 21:19:02 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2017-10-28 16:34
It doesn't matter. When you get older you learn it doesn't matter what anyone or any
group of people ...
if all the Mexicans left there would be no white people willing to pick the vegetables, sew
the cloths, or slaughter and package the meat.

I'm sure many Americans would rediscover the beauty of capitalism through hard work, as they'd see few entreprenous individuals getting fitlhy rich doing all that.

Once it's between having to farm vegetables and grow and butcher animals yourself, or giving up hamburgers, they'd choose the former. If there is demand for some produce that Mexicans or others no longer would produce, someone would I'm sure.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Valuable Member Medal

Post time 2017-10-28 23:21:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by robert237 at 2017-10-28 07:28
Jaaja Post time: 2017-10-28 05:19
I'm sure many Americans would rediscover the beauty of capitalism through hard work, as they'd s ...

Gee, that's a cute comeback. But my posts stand as truth. You are just speculating in an immature manner.
Do you really think the grunt work of agriculture would be eagerly taken up by the whites of America?
American is an oligarchy and the rich would have to import produce and meat. And guess who could pay
the tremendous increase in cost? Not the rich. Face reality.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.