Author: SEARU

How would Chinese win more Nobel prizes?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-10 13:48:22 |Display all floors
buddy, don't you know that it was Howard Goldblatt  who  translated Mo-Yan's Chinese novels into English. If it hadn't been for  Howard Goldblatt, Mo-Yan wouldn't have won the prize.

For good measure, I have had a chance to read  Mo-Yan's original Chinese novels. My takeaway: his Chinese novels strike me as ho-hum and even goofy. You could call it Kafkaesque country literature.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-10 14:02:40 |Display all floors
tedbrent Post time: 2017-10-10 13:30
buddy, don't you know that it was Howard Goldblatt  who  translated Mo-Yan's Chinese novels into E ...

Do you mean that Mr.Mo is ugly and it is a foreigner who put a beautiful dress on the former, then it is the nice outlooking that made the experts to offer the Nobel prize?
If so, the foreigner should have won prize on fashionable-clothing-designing!
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-10 14:19:00 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-10-10 14:02
Do you mean that Mr.Mo is ugly and it is a foreigner who put a beautiful dress on the former, then ...

Mo happens to be a fogy in terms of looks; there is a case to be made that he looks like a male character from one of the novels written by either Charles Dickens  or Thomas Hardy.

I wouldn't, in all conscience, call Mo's novels Mickey Mouse ones .  I just don't cotton to  authors writing this kind of country literature.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-10 15:42:49 |Display all floors
buddy, don't you know that it was Howard Goldblatt  who  translated Mo-Yan's Chinese novels into E ...

And that was spot on the truth.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-10 15:50:30 |Display all floors
buddy, don't you know that it was Howard Goldblatt who translated Mo-Yan's Chinese novels into En ...

But it is still true that the original author deserves the Nobel, not his or her translator. I know that Mr Goldblatt did a fantastic job akin to writing a work of fiction by himself but the truth is that it still is the translation of a Chinese work. I am glad for Mr Goldblatt to have achieved this and to bask in some glory while Mr Mo got the Nobel. If you think Mr Goldblatt deserved the Nobel, why not demand that he write an original novel all by himself?

And I am happy for Mr Ishiguro to get this year's Nobel. I read his "The End of Everything" several years ago and was mesmerized by it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-10 15:52:33 |Display all floors
The second Nobel-winner is Mrs. Tu  who invented new herb-like medicine in hard-research condition during the culture revolution period.  Her products have saved millions of lives in the Africa who had become from mosquito’s bite!  ----------It is strange that her achievement was first recognized by the international community instead of by our government!----------I had noticed that in the year before she got the hornor there was nobody as  the winner for the top prize in  the National Science-and-Technology-Progress Conference who have had the chance to shake hands with Chairman Hu!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-10 16:10:31 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-10 15:50
But it is still true that the original author deserves the Nobel, not his or her translator. I k ...

You may think in this way: the foreign winner has learned a lot  from Mr. Mp on writing style. Judging from this point, the former is Mo‘s student!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.