Author: tenderloin

Baidu and Alibaba not helping China semiconductor as they keep using US Nvidia [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-28 23:26:00 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-21 11:57
Some poster was claiming that Huawei, Xiaomi and Baidu copies from US companies.

Here's my respons ...
Baidu serves China but not the USA while Google serves the USA but not China.

If Chinese companies such as Huawei, Xiaomi and Baidu hardly compete against US companies, why should they copy them?

Google left China because the Chinese government wanted them to c-e-n-s-o-r their own search algorithms. Google refused, so China decided to not renew their business license. Google is actually now banned, and blocked, in China. Chinese are forced to use Baidu. People don't use Baidu because they like it, or think it's any better than Google. Computer users in China use it because they have no other choice. Other non-Chinese search engines (which are allowed to operate because they bend to Beijing's will) are throttled, which makes Baidu seem faster. Baidu's search results are also invariably all Chinese sites. If you search for "jet engines", for example, for a school project, you will come up with 99.9% Chinese websites. There may only be one reference to a Wikipedia page on jet engines, but you will have an extremely difficult, if not impossible time opening it because Wikipedia is also blocked, depending on the region of China that you are searching from. Hong Kong or Shanghai ... no problem. Shenyang, or Jilin City ... good luck getting it to open.

As for 4G/5G, remember, that's what they are called in China. Other countries have different names for those services, such as LTE, WCDMA, and GSM. LTE is more commonly referred to as 4G LTE (Long Term Evolution). WCDMA is 3G, and GSM is a 2G standard developed in Europe. 4G LTE is the fastest 4G service available today.

Your argument of "If Chinese companies such as Huawei, Xiaomi and Baidu hardly compete against US companies, why should they copy them?", is a non sequitor. If the US companies that would compete with them are not allowed in China, there is no competition. As for the copying ... well, there really is only one style for a mobile phone. I have yet to see a triangular Samsung Galaxy, or a spherical iPhone. I remember a couple of years ago, when Apple tried to sue Samsung for its use of "rounded corners". That didn't go over so well for Apple, if memory serves me correctly. As well, if you were to look at the individual components of a Huawei or Xiaomi phone, you will probably find that the components are sourced from Japan. There is no phone that is 100% Chinese components. I do not believe China has the commercial nanometer technology to make some of those parts. Note that I said "commercial". There may be other private applications that we are not privy to the knowledge of.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-28 23:37:55 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-10-25 21:20
In no way want I imply that creating search engine B after example of search engine A is against a ...

Translations for both Baidu and Google can be quite different, as well. The following, 金烏玉兔東復西,为人切莫用心机。百年世事三更夢,萬里乾坤一局棋。translated using Google translate, comes back as "Jin Wuyu rabbit East West, for people do not effort. Thousands of years of things three dream, thousands of miles and a chess game."

The same poem, using Baidu translate, results in, "The moon is not east west again, with my heart. One hundred years of the midnight dream, 000 universe in a game of chess."

My point is that neither of them translate very well.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.