Author: tenderloin

Baidu and Alibaba not helping China semiconductor as they keep using US Nvidia [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-25 17:50:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-10-25 17:52
Jaaja Post time: 2017-10-25 17:18
I'd even go as far as claiming that in digital world Google, Facebook and others have already done t ...

I was debunking the point made by a poster that Baidu needs to copy from Google.

Baidu and Tencent serves the Chinese market which has different characteristics than the US market. Google and Facebook serves the US market based on selling advertising as their business model. Tencent serves the Chinese market based on selling virtual goods in online/mobile games and providing e-commerce services using WeChat/Weixin as the mobile Internet platform. Baidu serves the Chinese market by supporting the Chinese language and sells advertising as their business model.

I don't know the business plans of Tencent or Baidu for overseas markets but they won't be competing against Facebook or Google because their business model and service platforms are different from each other.

So what's your point?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 17:58:59 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-25 17:50
I was debunking the point made by a poster that Baidu needs to copy from Google.

Baidu and Tencent ...

My point was that Google's - or Facebook's - primary business (whatever that is considered to be) is not limited to USA. That was in response specifically to you claiming that "Google serves the USA but not China." - Google does not serve just USA, it serves global world - excluding pretty much only China and DPRK.

And incidently I've seen Google ads even on Chinese websites, including websites operated by Chinese state enterprises.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 18:16:08 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-25 17:40
I was debunking the point made by a poster that Baidu needs to copy from Google which is patently  ...

Well, if we limit this Google vs Baidu discussion to just search engines, then Google was there first I believe. Of course Baidu copied that - it's not much different from west copying the art of making silk long ago. That alone is not copying in my opinion, rather spreading of culture and information.

Whether Baidu needs to copy some/any more technical implementations behind what consumers see, certainly Baidu should copy anything that it sees worth the effort, but it should respect intellectual property and international regulations while it does so - not to tmention considering the image of its own and that of China in that respect.

I don't think that Chinese see it this way, but for me as European, Google is a global company, not primarily US company. Though I recognize that it has HQ in USA and it operates under US jurisdiction where applicable, if Google does something that I don't approve, I would hold it against Google as a company and not USA the country.

While Baidu's possible wrongdoings, in my eyes, are more characteristically those of China (whether caused by Chinese culture - business or other - or lack of solid rule of law), because Baidu simply does not operate globally same way Google does.

because Baidu needs to support the CHINESE language which has different characteristics than ENGLISH or other Latin alphabet languages.

Google also has business in Taiwan and Singapore, both of which use Mandarin as official language, and works also in Hong Kong. I don't think that the specifics of Chinese language have any merit in making Baidu special compared to Google.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 19:31:09 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-10-25 17:58
My point was that Google's - or Facebook's - primary business (whatever that is considered to be)  ...

I am not contesting the fact that Google and Facebook serves global markets but merely pointing out that Baidu and Tencent serves China not the USA. So why should Baidu and Tencent copy from Google and Facebook if they don't compete against each other and don't serve the same markets?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 19:53:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-10-25 20:02
Jaaja Post time: 2017-10-25 18:16
Well, if we limit this Google vs Baidu discussion to just search engines, then Google was there fi ...

So both Baidu and Google are in the search engine business therefore Baidu is a copycat of Google. Now don't you think Baidu can do a better job supporting the Chinese language than Google? After all, Baidu is based in China while Google is based in the USA. The CEO of Google by the way is from India while the CEO of Baidu is from China. Now there could be Chinese speaking people working for Google in the USA or elsewhere such as HK, Taiwan or Singapore but Baidu has far more Chinese speaking employees in China because 1). most of Baidu's employees are Chinese and 2). China is Baidu's primary market. Are you implying that the Chinese speaking people in the USA and elsewhere working for Google can do a better job supporting the Chinese language than the Chinese working for Baidu in China which is why Baidu had to copy the Chinese language services of Google?

Really?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 20:19:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tonysong2000 at 2017-10-25 20:19

, they are real traitors if they don't support national industry like semiconductor, artificial intelligence etc.. :o:o:o
life is colorful with you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 21:20:48 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Jaaja at 2017-10-25 21:23
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-25 19:31
I am not contesting the fact that Google and Facebook serves global markets but merely pointing ou ...
So both Baidu and Google are in the search engine business therefore Baidu is a copycat of Google.

In no way want I imply that creating search engine B after example of search engine A is against any regulations, or even copying per se.

It is much more detailed technical solutions, algorithms, occassionally user interface innovations, that could fall under questionable copying.

It is same as building roads or railways. It is not copying if another country builds roads or high speed railways too, but if they copy some patented building material or kidnap your engineers to work for them, then it is not acceptable.

If for example Google deviced some completely revolutionary way of providing search results, then it would be understandable if Baidu would copy it, as long as it is also suitable for Chinese market. Certainly they can't be expected to just sit idle and wait until someone at their lab comes up with the same innovation out of nowhere.

why should Baidu and Tencent copy from Google and Facebook if they don't compete against each other and don't serve the same markets?

To that question I would reply with same question put another way - in the pretext that they don't compete or serve same markets, why shouldn't they copy? It would be much more questionable or illegal to copy, if they competed in same markets.

That said, there are some universalities that apply across markets.

If you can, you can open Google Translate and Baidu Translate side by side - see anything similar? Even if Baidu Translate was all Chinese, the UI itself looks so much like Google's, that even a half-blind foreigner could use it, once he figured how to choose the languages in Chinese. But is that copying? Not in my opinion. It's like building a road - two countries can build equally good road.

Most innovation that happens in developing internet applications or software in general is not dependant on language or locality. The opposite in my opinion - languages and localization needs drive much of software development. Machine translation and related services (lately hardware) is a good example of that.

I'm sure that almost every developed country has their own machine translation providers similar to Google Translate (even my small home country - small in both population and language - has several), but globally or even locally they are nowhere near Google Translate in market share, or number of supported languages.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.