Author: tenderloin

Baidu and Alibaba not helping China semiconductor as they keep using US Nvidia [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-22 13:10:35 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-10-22 13:44
tenderloin Post time: 2017-10-22 10:43
The danger of doing that will be Nvidia would so entrenched in Chinese products that later domestic ...

The problem is: nobody in the world is doing AI hardware as well as NVIDIA. They bet the farm early on and now they are reaping the profits. Outside of the Big Three BAT (Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent), there are lots of Chinese companies doing AI: Mobvoi in NLP, Cloudminds in robotics, HIKVision in video cameras, Didi-kuaidi in ride-sharing, etc. But nobody is doing the industrial R&D for MASSIVELY-PARALLEL PROCESSORS (MPP) which is the computing architecture used by NVDIA for AI and graphics. None of the Chinese companies doing AI have expertise in MPP except for the Chinese State-owned Enterprises who built the Chinese supercomputers using MPP technology.

Massive Parallel Processors (MPP) and Symmetric Multi-Processors (SMP) are two different things. What most Chinese IC companies have done is to do multiprocessors on a SoC such as HiSilicon, Spreadtrum, Rockchip, etc. But none have done parallel processors on a SoC which is NVIDIA's core expertise.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-22 13:47:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by tenderloin at 2017-10-22 13:47
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-22 13:10
The problem is: nobody in the world is doing AI hardware as well as NVIDIA. They bet the farm early ...

Check out cambricon tech, a China startup company just releases 1A AI chip, it's neither a CPU or GPU. It has its own instructions set for AI.
It draws $100 million funding, that's huge amount in China.

Say No to Nvidia!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-22 14:18:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-10-22 14:19
tenderloin Post time: 2017-10-22 13:47
Check out cambricon tech, a China startup company just releases 1A AI chip, it's neither a CPU or G ...

Yes, I've heard about them.

Huawei licensed the NPU IP for its Kirin 970 chip from Cambricon Tech. They have the technical expertise but they need to scale their solution from mobile SoCs to embedded systems to blade servers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 16:00:38 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-20 16:04
Outside of the USA, everybody uses smartphones -- not PCs -- to access the Internet. But Intel fail ...

Consumers use smartphones.

Besides, if PC stands for Personal Computer, what is a cellphone if not a Personal Computer. It used to be (somewhere) that a family had one PC - now every member have their own cellphones. That's much more personal.

When I was a kid, only nerds had computers to play games on. Now playing games is a profession to some, and the surrounding industry for many more. Certainly there are games for mobile devices too, but not every game runs on them. I'd dare to speculate that the number of gaming PCs alone in the world today is bigger than the overal amount of computers a decade or so ago.

Therefore I disagree that PCs are dying. Perhaps not everyone needs them now (if ever did), but I'd guess that the absolute number of those who do is still increasing. Of course in mobile world the relative numbers are increasing much more fast.

However, cloud computing (which the topic was about I think) is mainly for enterprises, and while many of their consumers may use smartphones to acccess their services, the developers (or whatever backoffice staff they have in those enterprises) do not code or work on their smartphones.

PC industry, nobody buys servers anymore because everybody uses the cloud

It's a minor distinction really, whether you buy server hardware to your own building, or rent virtual server from a cloud operator. You still have a server somewhere. What has changed is the model of providing the server service, not the function or need for servers.

The need for servers has actually increased a lot with cloud. Cloud services are running on servers even for applications which previously were running on regular PCs. For example Google provides spreadsheet app on the cloud, that previously would have been running in individual user's PCs as Excel files.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 16:03:44 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-21 11:57
Some poster was claiming that Huawei, Xiaomi and Baidu copies from US companies.

Here's my respons ...
Baidu serves China but not the USA while Google serves the USA but not China.

Don't forget that besides serving USA, Google serves most of the rest of the world too - From South America to Europe to Africa to Asia.

Baidu still serves only China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 17:18:57 |Display all floors
I'd even go as far as claiming that in digital world Google, Facebook and others have already done that, what in steel and concrete world China is only trying to do with Belt and Road Initiative.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-25 17:40:20 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-10-25 16:03
Don't forget that besides serving USA, Google serves most of the rest of the world too - From So ...

I was debunking the point made by a poster that Baidu needs to copy from Google which is patently false because Baidu needs to support the CHINESE language which has different characteristics than ENGLISH or other Latin alphabet languages. That makes Baidu unique to China.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.