Author: SEARU

How to introduce Chinese tradition to the world? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-7 00:05:22 |Display all floors
Are you kidding? No one is interested in modern Chinese communism. What respectable traditions do you retain today?

People who aren't so ignorant like the Americans, who know something about history, love old Chinese civilization, even the Japanese. No one wants to learn anything from modern China, because you have nothing to teach them. The only people interested in modern China are the people who can get something from you. What you can provide is goods, I would say some of them are pretty good quality and even better than western goods. But there is nothing in the world of spirituality, values, and goodness, that you can give to the world, as of today.

By the way, when I hear China working with the US, I do start fearing for the people of the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 00:08:33 |Display all floors
yasawakic Post time: 2017-10-6 23:14
Avoid stereotypes, like "chinese peoples give importance to the family/elders. In the world, you wil ...

I don't believe Chinese people today respect their elders. Why would they have laws to force the young to visit the elders?

And you always hear of the young people blaming uncivilized behavior on the "uneducated elders"....

Chinese people today respect wealth, period. Those elders are poor, hence merit no respect, according to them.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-7 10:09:16 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-10-6 16:44
About " the industrious glorification of Chinese traditions such as Confucianism "--------------
C ...

SEARU,
you need to read the newspapers with a little more alertness. Try to catch the SPIRIT that is behind the words. I am sure you can see DIFFERENCES in how the news today is presented as compared with how it was under Mao.

Mao did away with Confucianism; Jinping is reintroducing those old ghosts again. Why?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 11:46:36 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-7 10:09
SEARU,
you need to read the newspapers with a little more alertness. Try to catch the SPIRIT th ...

Chairman Mao is great leader who had saved our party and army from crisis many times with his wisdom. You may take his thought as a tree which rooted deeply in the fertile soil of Chinese tradition since he had read too many books in this area who has deep understanding about ancient wisdom including Confucian theory! ------------Maxis theory acted as the sunshine for the growth of the plant!   It is why Mr. Mao pointed out there are both spirit and rubbish with Chinese tradition as well as foreign culture! ----------------In a film,Mao said:“The head grows on your own shoulders! We must use our brain to make judgement based on kinds of facts and knowledge!”
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 12:02:09 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-7 10:09
SEARU,
you need to read the newspapers with a little more alertness. Try to catch the SPIRIT th ...

President Xi is quite energetic whose work-style is similar to Chairman's, at least deeply influenced by the latter!  But I don't think Mr. Xi totally agrees with Confucius since on many occasions he urge us to work hard to build New Chinese Philosophy Theory (新的中国哲学体系)!

(Later I have to re-visit the doctors for some treatment to the wound in the leg.  Pardon for the short reply?)
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 19:53:28 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-10-7 11:46
Chairman Mao is great leader who had saved our party and army from crisis many times with his wisd ...

Sorry, SEARU, if ordinary people cannot form coherent thoughts about their past leaders there is no hope that good traditions get returned to the fold. You people ought to form your own opinions rather than repeat those hackneyed propaganda bits about the Mao et al.

They don't even know China's history, yet they pontificate about its longevity. How little do they know about other civilisations, especially those that have been around much longer than China's?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 20:08:51 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-10-7 11:46
Chairman Mao is great leader who had saved our party and army from crisis many times with his wisd ...

SEARU,

I will now proceed to show you that traditions that have been discontinued for some time are best left untouched. If you need customs of one sort or another, why not create them ad hoc? Every society has to reinvent and recreate traditions from time to time.

Here is an example:
The mobile phone, that gadget so beloved by the millennials and people younger than them... There is a serious downside to having one: when it is few people who have a mobile phone they are envied for their exalted status, and when everyone has one it becomes a public nuisance, noisy, intrusive, antisocial. Older people remember the more harmonious times when people would speak face to face with nostalgia. They might think the younger generations are boorish, uncouth, uncivilized and self-centered because they selfishly communicate most of the time by phone even in the presence of others.

Clearly this is a break with the traditions. It calls for customs to be introduced to make life more civilized. People need to learn manners. These manners will then become new traditions. I don't know if such manners can be introduced to Chinese but elsewhere they are under consideration. It's a way of preserving good traditions. In Europe, people used to watch TV only after their dinner, not during it. It was called "quality time with the family". In the U.S.A. TV has been a scourge for ages that invades all privacy. In China I have also seen too much TV and too little quality time between family members.

Think about it! All it takes is a little concern for the wellbeing of the community or nation, and you can come up with a suitable new habit or tradition. You don't need to connect with your prehistoric past.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.