Author: SEARU

How to introduce Chinese tradition to the world? [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-6 10:49:51 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-10-5 09:24
Since President Xi took office, the phrase 国学(nation-study)has become popular around the press c ...

Although I find the topic of this thread fascinating, I must say it has taken an absurd twist:

"The ancient theory is so deep that you could see its true meaning through once reading. You must chew each word one by one, line by line!  After times of research, you could catch the author‘s soul!’

I think this verbiage is abstruse and obsequious and meaningless. It borrows poetic phrases to describe mundane things.

I have been noting the industrious glorification of Chinese traditions such as Confucianism and I am growing more and more skeptical. Tiger Mums are held up as idols, old imperial tyrants are suddenly revered again, the mythical Yellow Emperor is being celebrated as if he had been a prophet rather than the figment of a literary mind that he in fact was. Soon foot-binding will become fashion again. Don't you see that your technocfatic ruling clique is pulling the wool over your under-illuminated minds?

Soon you will write a new anthem: China, China über alles!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-6 11:20:45 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-10-5 11:04
Time is good stone that can sharpen and test  your wisdom and theory!
We draw lessons from failure ...

I  like your posts. Please, do forgive me for probing you with more questions.

Could you bring up a valuable tradition in contemporary China? A tradition that is worth sharing with anyone interested in it?

There are, of course, many customs and traditions worth preserving. Many are not necessarily of ancient vintage. A good tradition can be relatively modern.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-6 11:26:15 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-10-5 14:51
Brothers ladled meal for me in turn!
This let me strike another stor ...

Your examples of family customs beg some questions:

Once a time, he won the first place in the whole county exams. His father asked all of the other kids to stand in line and the eldest filled the bowl and passed it to the second and so on as if the servants treated the Emperor!  ------Furthermore brothers had to wash all of his clothes just because he was the only hope for the family!”
-----------I think  this kind special family policy on intellectuals encouraged that kid to make more progress on lessons!

Don't you think that privileging one son over all others this way is in a way inviting jealousy and conflict in the family? It is well known that parents often favour their youngest child the most over all others, thereby creating disharmony and strife.

This is a psychological issue, not a cultural one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-6 15:32:12 |Display all floors
Much of more distant Chinese culture and practises has equivalent local practises in other cultures. Take Mid-Autumn Festival for example - most, if not all, cultures around the world have their own festivals to celebrate harvest season. Same for spring festivals, mid summers, christmases and new years.

"Chinese culture" as a term is tainted for many foreigners (especially those who have not experienced China first-hand, and those who have experienced too much of it) due to more recent history of China.

It is like a mold covering the mid-autumn harvest later in the year, that needs to be cleared before one can enjoy whatever edible remains inside. But Chinese, and especially the leaders, are not very eager to process that mold.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-6 16:44:04 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-6 10:49
Although I find the topic of this thread fascinating, I must say it has taken an absurd twist:

About " the industrious glorification of Chinese traditions such as Confucianism "--------------
Chairman Mao said:'古为今用,洋为中用。 取其精华,去其糟粕!'-----------“We use ancient things for the present need,meanwhile we may also take in foreign things for Chinese building cause。 But we must get rid of their waste elements and only accept the spirit of the both!”

How wonder his conclusion is!
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-6 19:41:56 |Display all floors
SEARU, you make some good points here, and thanks for the contribution. However, please use Confucian as the adjective, and the entire point of Confucian thought is a practical approach to life and not a theoretical one. Good luck to you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-6 23:14:19 |Display all floors
Avoid stereotypes, like "chinese peoples give importance to the family/elders. In the world, you will difficultly find a society where family is not important or where elders are not respected.
Try to buil dsome links with peoples from other cultures: the only truth is that worlds peoples share more common points than difference: try to explain: how chineses make it, in life situations, what makes a situation "chinese"? for example: how chinese see the new year: birth, wedding, death, try to make a foreigner understand why a chinese that doesnt look like chinese is chinese (for example a white collar in a big city), try to explain humor, what makes chinese laugh. And if you can, try to show what you would like to show to them, and how you would like them to see you.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.