Author: ceciliazhang

Why are Chinese people patriotic?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-7 01:52:09 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-10-6 00:10
If patriotism is bad, what is love for one's country? There is no need to "conjure" up an enemy for  ...

The problem is that patriotism supports wars.
Without World Government we are DOOMED.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 01:53:35 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-10-5 21:48
Yes, all nations 'encourage'  patriotism in their citizens, but China takes the cake for being the ...

Many countries are as bad as China. USA, Russia and lots of silly little countries too.
Without World Government we are DOOMED.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-7 10:03:23 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-10-6 13:10
If patriotism is bad, what is love for one's country? There is no need to "conjure" up an enemy for  ...

There is a big and decisive difference between genuine PATRIOTISM and its nemesis, NATIONALISM.

Many governments that are not so sure of themselves promote nationalism in the guise of patriotism.

A good government running a good nation won't need to do that. It won't persecute those it claims "do not love their country".

Love should never be enforced.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 14:13:05 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2017-10-7 01:52
The problem is that patriotism supports wars.

Patriotism is love for one's country together with all the faults and goodness that comes with it. That is all there is to it. It does not support wars. If you love your own country, should I accuse you of supporting wars then? That does not make sense at all does it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 14:19:34 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-7 10:03
There is a big and decisive difference between genuine PATRIOTISM and its nemesis, NATIONALISM.  ...

I never mentioned that love can be enforced. That's why I challenged the idea that a government needs to conjure up an enemy for patriotism to exist. Patriotism is from oneself. Some have it, some don't.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-7 20:16:09 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-10-7 14:19
I never mentioned that love can be enforced. That's why I challenged the idea that a government ne ...

Well, well. Chinese primary school kids 12 years and even younger are indoctrinated to spout forth hateful sound bites against foreign nations. I am not sure if they are told to hate the S Koreans this year but I remember hearing expressions from the mouths of such young children such as "the little Japanese".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-8 13:14:39 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-10-7 20:16
Well, well. Chinese primary school kids 12 years and even younger are indoctrinated to spout for ...

You are trying very hard to squeeze every ounce of juice out of a fly to take a shot at China. That expression has been used in normal conversations and do not carry any hatred at all. It has become a normal term of expression. Chinese even call each other, especially children, "little devil" as a term of endearment. Even when Chinese speak favourably of Japanese, that term of expression will still be used. You can fool some but you cannot fool everyone.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.