Views: 967|Replies: 12

Are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Sexist and Racist? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-30 13:17:40 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ninja_Turtle at 2017-9-30 13:22

Hello China,

I have always been a fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  I think they are great TV shows and movies.  I still watch them.

But, I have been troubled by the sexism and racism in the show.  

For example, the four Ninja Turtles are males.  This is discrimination against females. The writer should have made two of the turtles female.

[continued below]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-30 13:20:30 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ninja_Turtle at 2017-9-30 13:23

Second, both of the human friends of the Ninja Turtles are white.  This is racism.  One of the friends should have been Black.  Casey Jones should have been Black, while April O'Neil should remain white.

Plus, Casey Jones has been dating April O'Neil, so if Casey Jones was Black, this would be a good message that love is more important than skin color.

I would like to see Hollywood create a brand new series of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, plus movies, with my recommended changes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-30 15:39:16 |Display all floors
I'll give you a clue:
Go and watch Ghostbusters 2 which has an all female cast. There is your answer....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-30 16:17:49 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2017-9-30 15:39
I'll give you a clue:
Go and watch Ghostbusters 2 which has an all female cast. There is your answer ...

I already watched it, good movie.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-9-30 18:44:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by HailChina! at 2017-9-30 18:47

I watched a Ninja Turtle movie recently and I thought that it was pretty good. It had Megan Fox in it and she was hot as %$%$ in it. Oh my God Megan Fox is hot. There is a part where she dresses up in a blonde wig and holy %$%$ I think she is even hotter with blonde hair if that is actually possible. Megan Fox is so %$%$ing hot. But yeah the movie reminded me of the cartoon a fair bit and I think it was done pretty well. The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie sucked. It was not like the cartoon.

Here is a thing though - originally in the tv cartoon at least Raphael was not all angry and cranky like he is now apparently. It was not until that first movie that Raphael gets all angry and cranky. In the tv cartoon theme song it says that Raphael is cool but crude. Nothing about him being angry. And if he was all dark and angry in the cartooon series like he is in the movie then it would be a downer. I dont know why he has to be so angry now. Wha is he even so angry about anyway?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-9-30 19:23:01 |Display all floors
Ninja_Turtle Post time: 2017-9-30 13:20
Second, both of the human friends of the Ninja Turtles are white.  This is racism.  One of the frien ...

Hey,I was just thinking - Baxter Stockman is black in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie I watched recently that has Megan Fox in it - but in the original tv cartoon series he is white. So I just checked on this and apparently Baxter Stockman is actually black in the comics that came before the cartoon. That is a new one hey. Baxter Stockman started out black and then became white - it is thought because TMNT decided that it was not a good idea for their only black character to be a bad guy - but now he is black again. Generally turning a character that was white into black is an unracist thing to do according to modern thinking but in this case it could be racist since the character that is becoming black is a bad guy that was originally black but changed to white because it was racist. How about that. TMNT is more racist than we thought. It started out racist then improved a little by making the characters all white but now it has turned full circle and is racist again for having a token black character that is actually a villain.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-4 08:59:05 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2017-9-30 18:44
I watched a Ninja Turtle movie recently and I thought that it was pretty good. It had Megan Fox in i ...

Hollywood is in the process of creating a new Ninja Turtles series that will air on the Nickelodeon channel in 2018, but it does not take the OP's advice.  All four turtles will still be male, and Casey Jones will still be white.

Think of how many young white children will now grow up to be nazis after watching this show that still promotes racism and sexism.  

Even the names of the four turtles are white names.  Why no hispanic names, or African names, or Asian names?  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.