Author: ceciliazhang

Can bike-share boom lead to a less car-dependent future? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-4 03:25:19 |Display all floors
oasisgreen Post time: 2017-10-3 20:45
it's advised to buy cars in small cities because there is no traffice, public transport is poor an ...

The reason why I think ebikes (which includes e-scooters, e-motorbikes, e-tricycles, etc) will work in small cities is because it's easier to designate certain streets as "ebike" only. All that is needed is to erect poles to block e-cars from those streets. But e-cars are still needed which could be reduced by mandatory eride-sharing. The rest could be handled by mass transit options such as e-buses, e-trams, etc. along the main streets of a small city.

I am not a fan of bicycles because of their limited utility in transporting luggage, groceries, children, etc.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-4 11:05:47 |Display all floors
oasisgreen Post time: 2017-10-3 20:31
china will soon go beyond the times when cars are simbols of social status, the younger generation ...

China's young generations are lazy, averse to P.E., comfort junkies. If they cannot go to work by airconditioned underground railway they will refuse to work and live on handouts instead. Bikes are for oldies and fashionistas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-4 15:19:42 |Display all floors
oasisgreen Post time: 2017-10-3 20:22
there are still bike lanes in some old big cities, but not in the new cities.
and as said above, t ...

True. I also agree with sfphoto that different modes of transportation are needed for different purposes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-6 23:35:14 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-4 03:25
The reason why I think ebikes (which includes e-scooters, e-motorbikes, e-tricycles, etc) will wor ...

What are ebikes? Bikes will work in small cities, because people can't afford cars. The only reason anyone would prefer a bike over a car is a financial one.

The only way to make biking "popular" in China, is to ban cars. But the people aren't going to allow that.

I myself love biking, but only when I was younger. Now that I'm older, I think I don't want to bike anymore, even in good weather. But when I was younger abroad studying, I remember mentioning that I don't want to get a car, because I want to bike, but adult Asian friends would look at me weird. They really don't understand why anyone would bike if they can get a car.

Biking + subways = difficult life. No one who has had a car would go back to bikes. This thread is crazy. Cars are really convenient and I would call a necessity, second only to a house. Yeah, yeah, bikes are popular in some European countries, but they eat and live differently. It means nothing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 12:51:06 |Display all floors
This post was edited by sfphoto at 2017-10-7 12:52
hello999 Post time: 2017-10-6 23:35
What are ebikes? Bikes will work in small cities, because people can't afford cars. The only reaso ...

Did you know that China has 90% of the world's e-bikes? Most people living in small cities prefer e-bikes because 1). they're cheaper 2). takes less space 3). highly mobile. But they're e-bikes not bikes. I agree with you that bikes won't work in China because couples, families, kids, elderly, etc. need to travel together. Most e-bikes can carry two passengers, some even more. But e-cars are still needed for long-distance commutes and during inclement weather.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 18:19:20 |Display all floors
sfphoto Post time: 2017-10-7 12:51
Did you know that China has 90% of the world's e-bikes? Most people living in small cities prefer e ...

> Did you know that China has 90% of the world's e-bikes?

Most of the world's poor are in China. And that's not an insult. It's just because China has 1/6 of the world's population.

Sorry, I am very familiar with the nonchangeable part of Chinese culture. No way in hell a pure-bred Chinese would choose a bike over a car. An American Chinese? Maybe. A communist Chinese? Possibly, but for different reasons. A pure-bred Chinese? No way in hell.

I don't know if I can believe you when you say you are a Chinese raised in the USA. If you are, you are truly such a disappointment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-7 19:22:27 |Display all floors
hello999 Post time: 2017-10-7 18:19
> Did you know that China has 90% of the world's e-bikes?

Most of the world's poor are in China. ...

peoples living in china that are not china people are Fake Chinese

we don't need then

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.