Views: 46371|Replies: 35

Can bike-share boom lead to a less car-dependent future? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-29 15:06:32 |Display all floors
BYMOLLY HURFORD
In China, researchers have found that a new kind of bike share may indeed be responsible for the slowed growth of fuel consumption in the country. While Chinese fuel use is still increasing—up four percent this year—that’s actually a significant drop in growth, compared to the 6.5 percent that it grew the year prior. Reuters reports that according to industry estimates and government studies, a dramatic two-year rise in cycling has helped get people out of their cars. Bikes can help the environment, but can they wean entire nations off petroleum?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-29 15:40:09 |Display all floors
Unless proper bike lanes are built in the cities, bikes cannot replace cars. The government must also make efforts to reduce car population in the cities besides building infrastructure favouring bikes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-29 15:58:25 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-9-29 15:40
Unless proper bike lanes are built in the cities, bikes cannot replace cars. The government must als ...

There is no lack of bike lanes in the cities. The fact is the physical infrastructure is abused. People will park their car or drive in the bike lanes, so if strict measures are taken, China will be reclaim its title as the kingdom of bicycles.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-29 16:23:01 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-9-29 15:58
There is no lack of bike lanes in the cities. The fact is the physical infrastructure is abused. P ...

Not really. In the city why I live, bike lanes are not there. Most of the time, one has to ride on the road together with cars. Remember, bike lanes are not pedestrian lanes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-29 16:31:26 |Display all floors
I don't mind biking in good weather. But if I own a bike, then it's mine, I'm not going to share it. I hate sharing stuff. Get your own.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-29 16:38:37 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-9-29 16:23
Not really. In the city why I live, bike lanes are not there. Most of the time, one has to ride on ...

Oh, that's risky. On my way to work, I found a lane using red asphalt has been assigned for bike riders. Hope this will expand to more cities.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-29 16:39:56 |Display all floors
But biking is just recreational. It is not an alternative to cars. If it was, cars wouldn't be so popular.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.