Author: ariqj

Athletes take a knee during the national anthem [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-26 20:04:47 |Display all floors
AmericanDream Post time: 2017-9-26 16:38
But is the act intelligent?

Yes, there is racism to overcome in the United States, but what could b ...

They pretty much had no choice.  Trump insulted players who do this calling them SOBs.  He called for owners to fire them.  He stirred up his base against them.  70% of the players are black.  If they weren't kneeling for the protests before, they still can see and understand the cause for it.  So when Trump attacked them, they had no choice but to be defiant.   You think they could just fold after those statements?   It would seem like a surrender.   Trump would 'win' and winning in this instance is not acceptable.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-26 20:41:22 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cestmoi at 2017-9-26 20:45
JFenix Post time: 2017-9-26 20:04
They pretty much had no choice.  Trump insulted players who do this calling them SOBs.  He called  ...

A few of us have pointed out in NYTimes that the Star Spangled Banner rationalized/extenuated/mythologized slavery... I cannot seem to find the right adjective for it. This stanza, right here:
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triump doth wave
O'er the land of the free and home of the brave!

If you were descended from slaves, how would it make you feel if you have to honour and respect this national anthem?
The sheer perversity of it! How dark must the heart of this nation be, to have such evil words in its national anthem.
Empathy is in short supply and snake-oil platitudes are aplenty from ilks like AmericanDreamer.

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-26 20:48:56 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2017-9-26 20:41
A few of us have pointed out in NYTimes that the Star Spangled Banner rationalized/extenuated/mytho ...

The problem is we have never really dealt with our past properly.

Again, I think we can learn from Germany on this one.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-26 20:59:53 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2017-9-26 20:48
The problem is we have never really dealt with our past properly.

Again, I think we can learn fro ...

USA cannot deal with its dark past and reconcile with it when a big part of its demographics glorifies and supports it. Charlottesville is just a flash in the pan, 45's base is "yuge"[sic], and many are from the white middle class, the stats are there for all to see.

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-26 21:12:56 |Display all floors
A few of us have pointed out in NYTimes that the Star Spangled Banner rationalized/extenuated/mytho ...
If you were descended from slaves, how would it make you feel if you have to honour and respect this national anthem?

I fail to see your point.

If you are descended from slaves, do you think you would THINK or FEEL any DIFFERENT to how other U.S. Americans do?

Descendants of ex slaves have no special idea about the meaning of being a "slave".

It may be desirable that the good people never forget about this dark chapter in their national history but at the same time it is incumbent upon everyone to recognize that that period is well and truly over for U.S. Americans though not for certain other peoples.

There is nothing to gain by harping on the past and by feeling as "victims". The real victims are dead, as are their exploiters.

I do believe Donald Trump has screwed up here big time as well.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-26 21:20:27 |Display all floors

Personally, I think americans go waaaayyyyyy overboard when it comes to rituals and displays of nationalism.

I never made my kids stand for the pledge of allegiance in school (was their choice).

Forcing people to participate in nationalistic rituals is more in line with N. Korea than a country that says its proud of its 'freedoms'.

This current outrage has nothing to do with 'disrespecting the country' or the military.  Its about trying to shut up black protesters.  

Many people who voted for Trump did so because he thought Trump could shut them all up.  They wanted a world where they would never be confronted with issues like racial inequality or dealing with a controversial past.

I'm just sickened at what America has become.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-27 04:18:33 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2017-9-26 20:04
They pretty much had no choice.  Trump insulted players who do this calling them SOBs.  He called  ...

Perhaps.  

Do you believe the Democrats are using the right strategy by constantly bringing attention to color lines?  Do you believe that the minority people are collectively in a secure demographic position to where they can collectively point out racism among the majority people and not be politically punished for it, up to the ultimate punishment of mass deportation, and even genocide?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.