Views: 24910|Replies: 17

College student’s death sheds light on bund bed safety [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-26 10:48:50 |Display all floors

(People's Daily Online) The death of a 21-year-old college student, after falling from a top bunk bed, has raised safety concerns.

The student, surnamed Wang, was found lying on the floor of her room in a residence of the University of Foreign Languages in Zhejiang Province, at around 7:00 am, on September 17, 2017.

Four of her roommates were elsewhere at the time of the accident, but a sleeping roommate was woken by what she described as "a big noise," and found Wang "lying motionless on the floor." Help arrived within minutes of her raising the alarm.

Wang was rushed to hospital, but all efforts to revive her proved in vain. The hospital said the student’s death was due to "a cardiac arrest caused by a fall."

The police have ruled out a homicide, and an investigation is currently underway. Some people urge the Chinese authorities to set standards for this kind of furniture. They also call for the living conditions for Chinese students to be improved.

Most dorm rooms at Chinese campus are so small that students are forced to use bunk beds to conserve space. But the safety of students should be the top priority to ensure them have information about the risk of falls from lofted beds, and to provide safety rails.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-26 15:08:35 |Display all floors

She must have been having a nightmare and begun reacting to those who persecuted her in her nightmare.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-26 16:59:05 |Display all floors
The beds should have a higher barrier to prevent them from rolling out of the bed.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-26 19:29:50 |Display all floors

Perhaps this accident will cause a rethink: why do CHINESE pupils and students have to sleep in such crowded conditions that bunk beds are needed? In normal countries, university students have more adult accommodations. University hostels should be forced by law to sleep their inmates on normal beds only - no double deckers.  Why do people put up with this nonsense in the first place?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-26 22:16:21 |Display all floors
Not surprised, but its not just in dorms where this can happen. I once took a train from chonqing  to GZ and found myself on the 3rd level bed where my big nose was nearly touching the train roof. There was a tiny barrier which wouldn't stop me falling off my bed if I rolled over, but also trying to get to get to my bed was also dangerous. I will never take that train again
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-27 04:01:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by whitebox at 2017-9-27 04:03

Looking at the above bunk beds  above and if they are the norm, it would seem highly possible to bolt on an additional higher safe rail  to the bed. There are many possible solutions, wondering if the same universities teach metal work,wood work or product design where the first project student project would be to design a solution . No one expects to die this way and my sympathy go to the students family and friends as this time. Compact living and safe living do not need to be in any way connected to each other.  

whitebox

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-27 04:20:09 |Display all floors
Hi

Unsure if the image of bunk beds is similar to bunk beds on campus's across china. But it looks highly possible to bolt on a higher guard rail to those bunk beds. I wonder if the same universities also run programs in metal work, wood work or product design and if so could the first student project in those programs be to design the solution needed here and to then build it. My sympathy goes out to the family and friends of this student as this time. It should not take a government to recognize unsafe practice in a University. But Irish universities will follow the law of the land here also and not what can be shown by researchto be safer practice.  . Until such a time as the law defines what is safe, then any improvement on the current system may leave whom ever who came up with a safer option open  to being brought to court for not have the absolutely fool proof perfect solution. But if students provide their own solution then it may be difficult to find some one to sue.

There does not need to be any connection between compact living and unsafe living.

whitebox

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.