Author: sfphoto

Should CD Forum implement real name registration?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-22 22:42:31 |Display all floors
Some here seem to think that real name registration is not just a way to cut down on tr-olls but to control the content that posters put up. They are trying to find ways to introduce (more) censorship into the forum.

The whole purpose of a forum is discussion and as a result there will be a divergence of views. There is plenty of criticism of western politics and that is fine - it s a varied topic that should be discussed. Criticism of politics in China is inevitably met with cries of Chinabasher!, posters profiled and conversations immediately shut down. That is not discussion. It's just another form of censorship.  

I personally would have no issue with real name registration. The forum does already have tools to enable posters to check the IP address of others so as to publicly out them as spammers or ghosts. That function was disabled a few years back (the right to use it cost credits) by Voice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-22 23:01:46 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-9-22 15:02
The implementation is the difficult part.

Not that difficult. Link to wechat accounts etc. all of which are registered to users whose identities are already verified.

Still, I don't thinkthat your intentions are honest - you are not doing this for any other reason that attempting to exclude posters whose views you don't like. Just another attempt at censorship (see my last post).

There is an alternative you know. Ignore posts you don't like. No one is forced to respond. And no one is forced to shout people down ... as seems to happen all too often from your corner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-23 02:11:59 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2017-9-22 22:42
Some here seem to think that real name registration is not just a way to cut down on tr-olls but to  ...

Are you aware that CD Forum is the target of trolls, spammers, ghosts and misfits who flood the site with junk? I mean MY posts get censored sometimes but those junk seems to get through all the time cluttering the forum with junk. There has to be a way of enforcing a minimum standard of integrity amongst posters without the need to constantly call out abusive behavior. I am in favor of using online IDs but linked to real names verified by physical IDs. That way, multiple IDs used by trolls, spammers, ghosts and misfits would be denied posting privileges.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-23 12:14:16 |Display all floors
Yes, real name registration, then we maybe lucky to get rid of posters such as seneca

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-23 15:13:32 |Display all floors
This post was edited by huaqiao at 2017-9-23 15:24
Jaaja Post time: 2017-9-22 21:50
Of course it should do - not doing so would be break of law, and the site would be shut down.

Only  ...

Isn't that a bit bias and unfair of you to say that? If one has pure intentions, there is nothing to hide and should not be worried about this. Freedom of speech is not necessary anything can be said without consideration for others, with false accusations and lies. Does you country have absolute freedom where anything can be said and done with impunity? No, not just your country. Show me any country that has such impunity.

PS: By impunity, I mean without any form of backlash or retaliations from anyone.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-23 15:18:36 |Display all floors
coralbay Post time: 2017-9-22 23:01
Not that difficult. Link to wechat accounts etc. all of which are registered to users whose identi ...

You need to know that what you say of me should also be said of others whose political views are different from mine too. If fact you are guilty of it yourself.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-23 16:19:09 |Display all floors
Yes

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.