Views: 954|Replies: 19

About Myanmar, Rohingya, UK and USA [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-15 09:25:21 |Display all floors
Myanmar's Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi is a Nobel Prize laureate and her country's most prominant political leader. UK's Boris Johnson (Brexiteer extraordinaire) and BBC gushed about her.

It's no secret that both the UK and the US supported her, both covertly and overtly, to take over the helm of her country from Myanmar's military regime. It was a bad military regime (military regimes usually are bad).

So we now have a pro-western government courtesy of UK and USA. The problem is, this is a genocidal government, and it is watching passively as Myanmar's Rohingya Muslim minorities are being slaughtered. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is now being criticized for not condemning the deadly attacks against the Rohingya.

The US and UK have created, again, ad nauseum, another monster. What do you intend to do about it other than to whinge about it at the UN?

Myanmar Leader Cancels U.N. Trip Amid Outcry Over Rohingya Slaughter
By RICK GLADSTONE and SOMINI SENGUPTA SEPT. 13, 2017
Myanmar Leader Cancels U.N. Trip Amid Outcry Over Rohingya Slaughter

A chorus of international leaders and human rights groups have denounced the attacks as ethnic cleansing — some have called it genocide — and have castigated Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi over what they described as her indifference.

MyanmrTweet.JPG

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-16 20:48:08 |Display all floors
Aung San Suu Kyi has a Nobel Peace Prize and the full support of the USA and UK behind her.

But I think she is a genocidal psychopath.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-16 22:13:47 |Display all floors

I am appalled by what's happening in Burma but unlike you, I do not see how "the West" enters the picture of the guilty. Burma's regime is not a "pro-Western" government. It simply is the first non-m8litary regime that is trying to introduce democracy. This riles China of course because democrats can hardly approve of how China has been meddling in Burma's mess. There is the aborted Mityika dam and power station for example.

The Rohingyas have been persecuted for DECADES, not just since last year. I read in the SCMP at least 12 years ago of Rohingya refugees being forced by the Thai coastguard to leave Thai coastal waters in their unseaworthy nutshells, and many drowned. The SCMP was probably the first reputable and renowned newspaper that covered the Rohingyas' plight.

About three years ago, new reports mentioned the Thai police as criminals that pimped Rohingyas to illegal work shops that used Rohingyas as slaves until they died. In the jungle near the Malaysian border various unmarked mass graves were discovered that contained the remains of Rohingyas.

Just read: the Burmese national media bask in the glory of knowing that China endorses the brutal genocide against the Rohingyas...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-16 22:18:51 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2017-9-16 20:48
Aung San Suu Kyi has a Nobel Peace Prize and the full support of the USA and UK behind her.

But I t ...

There you go again. I don't think it is fair to reduce this conflict to a single person or to two foreign governments. Try to be a little more objective!

I can quote media that condemned Aung San Suu Kyi for her perceived passivity in the matter. These media outlets are We must remember that she is only the informal leader of Burma. She is now allowed by the constitution of her country to be elected. If she speaks her mind she will be removed at once by the military. She is walking a tightrope.

That said, I wish she did try harder. But nobody knows whether she approves of the genocide currently happening in Rakhine.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-16 22:24:46 |Display all floors

The Rohingyas are not hated because they are Muslims; this is not a war about religion that opposes Buddhists and Muslims. It is more to do with ethnicity. The Rohingyas originally came from what was then British India. They were encouraged to settle in Burma by the British administration in the 19th century. In the 1980s, the Burmese military junta declared them foreigners and stopped issuing them with documents. As a result of this, the Rohingyas born since then are stateless, and they suffer enormous discrimination.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-16 22:26:21 |Display all floors
The Rohingyas are not hated because they are Muslims; this is not a war about religion that opposes Buddhists and Muslims. It is more to do with ethnicity. The Rohingyas originally came from what was then British India. They were encouraged to settle in Burma by the British administration in the 19th century. In the 1980s, the Burmese military junta declared them foreigners and stopped issuing them with documents. As a result of this, the Rohingyas born since then are stateless, and they suffer enormous discrimination.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-16 22:30:02 |Display all floors
cestmoi Post time: 2017-9-16 20:48

But I t ...

I think it is wrong to reduce this genocide to what one single woman does or fails to do. The war against the Rohingyas did not break out because she ordered it; the war has been going on for two dozen years, i.e. since before Mrs Aung Suu Kyi was released from her house arrest.

Her role as national leader must not be misjudged: she is not the de jure leader because she is not eligible to hold such a position due to her having foreign ties.

What would happen, do you think, if she spoke out against the military's brutalities? She would most probably be removed from office...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.