Author: ceciliazhang

What if more students give up physics? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-14 10:25:38 |Display all floors
My major was physics in the university. I think something is wrong with the writing style of science books in China. The authors have made theory too deep for kids to understand!  We should tell science story in a plain way with simple words! Furthermore some books are not accurate compared with their original ones in English!!  The heavy burden of exercise sums have wasted so much time that the students could not see the whole scenery of the science-forest.
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-14 10:26:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2017-9-14 10:38

We are troubled with our own writing or speaking style that makes short story become a long novel!  Pupils have lost interest in mysterious science due to the lack of logical things in the textbooks who should have summarized ‘theory' in their own words through basic experiments!  I think few chinese students dare change one single word of the text when in frequent exams that has limited their innovation ability!
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-14 15:17:18 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-9-14 10:26
We are troubled with our own writing or speaking style that makes short story become a long novel!   ...

You seem like a good teacher. I have an idea about how to teach science. Science cannot be learned by rote memory. Students need to do experiments to see how science works. However, experiments are expensive so another way to do experiments with lesser cost is to make a video of the experiment and show it multiple times to students. To prevent students from memorizing, make them explain in their own words about the experiment. Teachers can guide and monitor them until they have really learned the concept.
The big problem I see is that teachers themselves learn by rote memory so most are not adequate to teach effectively in this manner. So, teachers must also be trained.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-14 17:44:00 |Display all floors
I think that it is waste of education (and human) resources to teach science or even advanced math to kids who are not suited for that or not interested. Focus in primary education should be to identify where the potential and personal interest of each individual lays, and then make the best of that.

Of course until certain age every student should follow more or less the same curriculum, because telling einsteins from ladygagas does not happen in a year or two, or at too young age.

I believe that at the time of gaokao, kids (or their parents) should know what they want (or at least what they don't want) to pursue. If science is not high on that list, then they should not be forced to sit (for example) physics in gaokao.

And for the record (if it matters), personally I scored high enough in physics in local equivalent of "gaokao" to get to university to study it  - and though I didn't end up pursuing that career in later life, I respect those who do. As I do those who recognize they want to do something else.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-18 00:31:30 |Display all floors
As a person working at Fermilab, home of the Tevatron which helped identify and confirm key elements of the Standard Model, I can whole heartly say that Physics, much like Chemistry and Biology, cannot be given up by a government that wants to sustain itself into the next century.

Let me guess... there has been influx of 'social justice' types into the Chinese Educational system, or have parents been enamored with the idea that their children can be a high paid clown in the sports entertainment industry?
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-18 09:48:28 |Display all floors
tradervic Post time: 2017-9-18 00:31
As a person working at Fermilab, home of the Tevatron which helped identify and confirm key elements ...

It's not about abandoning the subject of physics at all; it's about allowing pupils to choose what they like to study when they go to high school. Europe has had its Baccalaureate programmes for a long time; the Bacs come in several different orientations. If you prefer sciences, you will study a lot of physics, but if you study arts, physics will take a back seat. Why shouldn't Chinese pupils be given a similar choice?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-2 00:52:12 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-17 19:48
It's not about abandoning the subject of physics at all; it's about allowing pupils to choose what ...

Sorry... been a bit grouchy of late when it comes to science getting the 'Social Justice' treatment.  If that is truly the case that you present Seneca, more power to those that stick with the sciences.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.