Author: ceciliazhang

Too young for college?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 7 DayEarlier |Display all floors
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

This post was edited by markwu at 2017-9-13 09:31

Her father taught her and she learned from him. Therein two techniques, one in teaching, the other in learning. They should share both techniques so that other aspiring students can also perform better, even if they are taught in normal schools.

That said, her parents must now embark on the second stage of her education, namely to make sure she gets a rounded education in life.

The college will teach her intricate and complex technical things but she has to also be able to interact with others below the ages of those she will be interacting with in college.

If her daily hours allow, she should enroll in public arts-type courses where her technical acumen will matter less so that she can interact with others of her age group.

This can be important to develop her social skills later in life when she graduates and has to depend on others at work in much the same way they will depend on her for brainwork support.

Additionally, she should get time to exercise and rest, proper nutrition and recreation.

The important thing here is balance. Notwithstanding her special qualities, her life should maintain balance although at a higher level of activities than others.

Most important, she should not be pressured to excel all the time otherwise she will surely feel despondent when she fails even a few times which will inevitably happen.  Push must not come to shove, no matter by who.

She will be just one young example among millions others not yet featured so i guess my comments here may also interest the others (if at all).  

The young are the future of China.

Use magic tools Report

Jaaja Post time: 2017-9-12 15:37
Contribute back to the society after being home schooled because the society couldn't provide educ ...

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

markwu Post time: 2017-9-13 09:29
Her father taught her and she learned from him. Therein two techniques, one in teaching, the other i ...

Use magic tools Report

huaqiao Post time: 2017-9-12 15:52
I see your point. My belief is that the elite of society must contribute and help others. Directly ...

Yes, if you had just written "contribute to the society", then I wouldn't have commented at all. But in her case I suspect that there is really no contributing back to the society.

Directly or indirectly, the elite benefits from society

In China, more than anywhere else, it has been the elite who have created wealth for the wider society. Both domestic elite like factory owners or construction company bosses, as well as foreign economic "elite" (when compared to Chinese public) who have purchased the produce from China's factories.

The economic elite has created employment and paid taxes to fund the society (details of which can be argued), and raised millions from poverty.

But on the topic, economic elite does not necessarily equal intellectual elite, which she may represent. Engineers, physicists, chemists, teachers etc do not necessarily earn a lot but they are the backbone of development of humanity.

Historically China, and Chinese society, also has horrible record in treating such elite, so especially in here she would have little to thank the society for.

Use magic tools Report

seneca Post time: 2017-9-12 20:30
Well, Chinese people believe that "elites" are privileged individuals that can enjoy everything th ...

That has happened but will change eventually. The fight on corruption is ongoing and will take years for the whole society to understand and make sense of it.

Use magic tools Report

Jaaja Post time: 2017-9-13 13:57
Yes, if you had just written "contribute to the society", then I wouldn't have commented at all. B ...

Intellectual elites can also become rich if the opportunity comes. Many engineers are starting up their own companies to take advantage of the fast-paced growth in IT. Some have become very successful.

Historically China, and Chinese society, also has horrible record in treating such elite, so especially in here she would have little to thank the society for.

That is true only in recent history--which is the Cultural Revolution. If you read the whole history of China, you will see that elites are treated quite well and contributed to the running of the country. Even now, the intellectual elites are running the show in the government.

Mark Wu (#9) has put up a good hypothetical case of what her future could be like.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.