Views: 1384|Replies: 14

Are Chinese cities disabled-friendly? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-11 10:13:04 |Display all floors

The sidewalks for the blind in northeast China’s Shenyang city were seen with zigzag angles and parking infractions, which made it difficult and precarious for blind people to navigate. /Caixin Photo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 10:13:27 |Display all floors

Similar situations were also found in other cities across the country, with even worse examples of paths leading into trees, holes and other barriers. /Caixin Photo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 10:13:51 |Display all floors

The number of blind people in China is estimated to be the largest and account for 18% in the world, according to statistics in 2014. /Caixin Photo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 10:14:15 |Display all floors

There is still a long way to go in terms of providing better and more standard facilities towards those with visual impairments. /Caixin Photo

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-11 12:43:20 |Display all floors

The cities are neutral: they neither love nor hate the invalid, but many inhabitants show no respect towards the people with physical disabilities.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 15:49:58 |Display all floors
The cities can have the best infrastructure for the disabled but if the mindset of the Chinese is not "disabled-friendly", it all comes to nought. Consideration for others should be taught from young so that even if the infrastructure is not there, the disabled can still feel at ease in the cities because there are people to help them when needed.
I think the first thing that should be changed is the mindset of the people. The infrastructure is needed also but is secondary.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 16:12:49 |Display all floors
I have lately been pushing baby stroller a lot around the city I live in, and it's not friendly even for that. Often I have to steer to the car road to get around parked cars or trees in middle of walkways.

I imagine it to be much worse for disabled, whether that's visually disabled or for example wheelchaired.

I think that this is primarily issue of city planning, supervision and police. Mindsets of people will follow.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.