Views: 60303|Replies: 14

Will westerners like Chinese comics? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-10 12:55:35 |Display all floors
Tencent in deal to bring Chinese online comics to North American readers

Partnership with digital publisher Tapas Media will see bestselling titles, including Fox Spirit Matchmaker, become available to audiences in the US and Canada for the first time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-10 12:55:58 |Display all floors
Tencent Holdings, the world’s largest video games company by revenue, has entered the North American comics market through a pact with San Francisco-based digital publisher Tapas Media, a partnership that will see the English-language release of a number of popular online Chinese titles.

In a joint statement, Tapas Media and the Chinese internet giant’s Tencent Animation & Comics (Tencent AC) unit said the initial titles to be released from this month were selected for their crossover potential with English-speaking audiences in North America and other markets around the world.

Those include Fox Spirit Matchmaker, a supernatural romance novel that was Tencent AC’s most popular title in June.

“The cooperation between Tapas Media and Tencent AC be key in helping to connect the global marketplace to the freshest and most popular comic intellectual property from China’s growing content industry,” said Zou Zhengyu, the general manager of Tencent AC, part of the Tencent Interactive Entertainment Group.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-10 12:56:37 |Display all floors

Shenzhen-based Tencent last month reported first-half revenue of 106.1 billion yuan (US$16.3 billion).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-10 19:23:39 |Display all floors
It's looks like all Japan stuff to me and There is no Chinese element in here ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-10 20:02:07 |Display all floors
Dracarys Post time: 2017-9-10 19:23
It's looks like all Japan stuff to me and There is no Chinese element in here ...

Indeed. Of course I haven't read any of these, so wouldn't know if the storylines have any cultural difference. But probably unless explicitly and clearly mentioned, these will get labelled under Japanse manga.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 15:04:45 |Display all floors
They look Japanese
Stan, you're holding a gun to God's head. I can't think of a metaphor that's better than this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-12 21:36:47 |Display all floors
Comics will always be successful in the North American market;

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.