Author: serenades

‘Beyond the Clouds’ -A visit to Lijiang in 1995 [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-9 15:00:24 |Display all floors
What is the purpose of posting uncommented pictures that are 22 years old and show a Lijiang utterly different from what you will find today?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-10 01:49:43 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-9 15:00
What is the purpose of posting uncommented pictures that are 22 years old and show a Lijiang utterly ...

I think that's how it should be - uncommented, leaving it to viewers discretion to draw their own opinions or conclusions. Also being utterfly different from today serves the purpose of historical documentation.

Perhaps 50 or 100 years photos would serve that purpose better, but then it would look even more different... so I'm not sure if any will satisfy you in this :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-10 11:34:59 |Display all floors
This post was edited by shehemego at 2017-9-10 11:43

Times have changed. Market life has changed. But with reflection of the past market experience, we can realize how we should do with the market life of today. In the very market life of 1995, we used baskets to carry the goods we bought in Li Jiang. However, we now use plastic bags so often instead. Dating back to the old times is very thought-provoking for our new generations. Those past experience should be imparted to our brains and become part of our identify as Chinese though Li Jiang is such a small Chinese town, a small Chinese world. We can look through the past of every Chinese town to shape our mind, to civilize our identify as a Chinese with Chinese cultural marks and impressions. We are  living  not only as a modern Chinese which we are born to be but as a Chinese with comprehensive knowledge and experiences about China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-10 14:16:01 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-9-10 01:49
I think that's how it should be - uncommented, leaving it to viewers discretion to draw their own  ...

Have you ever been to Lijiang before the last earthquake, and after that?

I liked Lijiang as seen on those photographs but today you won't find this Lijiang any more. Now Lijiang is a typical tourist destination, faceless, crowded, overpriced, unsanitary and lacking in charm.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-10 15:07:25 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-10 14:16
Have you ever been to Lijiang before the last earthquake, and after that?

I liked Lijiang as se ...

No, I have only been in Lijiang once and that was just 5 years ago. Therefore even these photos are of some value for me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 12:54:55 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-9-10 15:07
No, I have only been in Lijiang once and that was just 5 years ago. Therefore even these photos ar ...

I still maintain that pictures deserve to have decent captions. Otherwise, you can reuse the same photographs under a new thread's title: "The Magic Way of Life In Kabul, Afghanistan".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 14:21:47 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-11 12:54
I still maintain that pictures deserve to have decent captions. Otherwise, you can reuse the sam ...

Ok. I seem to think that they had OK captions when I first looked. At least now they say for example "Coal cart Lijiang Market Square 1995. [Photo by Bruce Connolly]", which is quite enough for me.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.