Views: 204|Replies: 6

Macdonalds workers go on strike.. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-7 20:45:38 |Display all floors
For the 1st time ever in the uk, and backed by jeremy corbyn Mac worksrs in Cambridge and crayford have gone on strike demanding 10 pounds an hour. Staff attended early morning picket lines, before attending a rally in London. Many workers are complaining about living in poverty. Steve, who works at one of the cambridge macdonalds says he gets 8 pound an hr, but can only afford to eat because he gets his meals free at Macs. Rent is expensive in Cambridge and although i have a roof over my head, i am sleeping on a matttress on the floor. Zero hr contracts can leave you short, but other workers are worse off than me. Macdonalds is the 2nd largest restaurant company in the worlds that makes 22 billion a year...

The salaries are: under 18 / 5.42 an hour
                        18-20/ 6.84
                        21/24 8.13
                       over 25/ 8.30

All of these salaries are well above the minimum salary set out by the government, so apart from the zero hrs contacts, i dont see why they can be complaining.

a 40 hr week at 8 pounds an hour brings in 1280 pounds minus tax which will be around 1000 pounds a month net....
Quit moaning and get back to work...

if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time Yesterday 13:39 |Display all floors
Well, whether the workers are justified or not in their complaints, McDonald's is working around the issue by replacing the cashiers with automatic tellers.  

Minimum wage workers are slowly being replaced by automation.  Is this good or not?  You decide.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 1 HourEarlier |Display all floors
AmericanDream Post time: 2017-9-24 13:39
Well, whether the workers are justified or not in their complaints, McDonald's is working around the ...

Supermarkets are now allowing you to scan when you shop, so cashiers will also be a thing of the past soon enough..
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time HalfHourEarlier |Display all floors
A robot has carried out a dental operation without help from humans for the first time, carrying out implant surgery on a patient in China.

Although medical staff were present during the one-hour surgery in Xian, Shaanxi province, they did not play an active role.

Two new teeth, created by 3D printing, were successfully implanted into a woman’s mouth, the South China Morning Post reported.

The robot was developed by Beihang University in Beijing and the Fourth Military Medical University’s Stomatological Hospital.

Dr Zhao Yimin, who works at the hospital, told the newspaper the robot was designed to carry out dental procedures and avoid mistakes made by human error.

Use magic tools Report

Post time HalfHourEarlier |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2017-9-25 18:15
Supermarkets are now allowing you to scan when you shop, so cashiers will also be a thing of the p ...

The Democrats in the USA are supporting the concept of a basic income for all poor Americans.  This would help out the minimum wage workers that will lose their jobs to automations.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.