Author: ceciliazhang

Why the obsession with natural birth?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-7 20:43:59 |Display all floors
1626548377 Post time: 2017-9-7 15:10
Exactly, but the problem is, the in laws on both sides especially here in China interfere in their ...

That is the saddest thing I have ever heard.

If you don't have dominion over your own body - you have nothing.  

Decisions like this should be between the doctor and the patient.  Family members over-riding doctor's advice? That's just insane.

Poor women of china - they don't even have the most basic rights.

I didn't know things were this bad in china.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-7 20:46:06 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2017-9-7 15:12
This is why misunderstanding arises. People believe natural delivery is better for babies.

It is better for babies and mothers.  Its much easier to recover from natural birth than a c-section.

But lets not forget how common it has been for women to die during childbirth.  Natural birth only works if everything is good.  If there are issues, you could die and this used to be more the norm.  

I'm so saddened for chinese women.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-7 23:24:50 |Display all floors
She asked her husband to allow a C-section. Her doctor and nurses also advised her husband to allow the surgery, but all requests were rejected

First of all, this should be the woman's choice alone. If that is not the case, then Chinese law is to blame. Woman should not lose authority over her own body just because she is pregnant and delivering.

If there is no such law, then the hospital is to blame for even giving the choice to the family or the father. If the woman said she wants C-section, then C-section she should have had.

Beyond that, the problem is about women's role in Chinese society - and it is not improving, quite the opposite. As Chinese population is aging, and gender imbalance is what it is, the country from very top wants to see more women staying home making babies, which effectively puts them under control of their husbands and families.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-8 00:25:46 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-9-7 23:24
First of all, this should be the woman's choice alone. If that is not the case, then Chinese law i ...

I agree except for one thing - a c-section is major surgery.  That should be something done if its determined as  necessary by the doctor.  There are risks with c-sections.  It takes longer to recover from them.  It can mean you can't deliver natural again because your uterus will tear at the incision site.  So, i don't think it should just be a choice, but one of medical necessity.

In this case, the doctors advised a c-section.  That should be respected by family.  Doctors don't advise surgery if its not necessary.

But I agree it should be the woman who gives consent for the surgery.  Not having this basic right over their own body is horrible.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-8 11:44:22 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-9-7 23:24
First of all, this should be the woman's choice alone. If that is not the case, then Chinese law i ...

That is a minority view, the belief dear to Westerners. It isn't what the Chinese or anyone else believes. The procreation involved two adults, so it follows that two people make such decisions. IFdeally the woman's wellbeing and safety are of prime importance and a cesarean section is not opposed by the woman's partner.

But a complication arises in China: a child is a national property and the families are answerable to the State for how many they reproduce. The child will later be taken care of by the State - from the routine medical checks and injections top schooling. Conversely speaking, the family is the woman's nursing staff if she has to stay in the hospital due to complications. You know, I hope, the situation in Chinese hospitals, yes?

That said, don't take the messenger, me, for the defendant. I am as scandalized by what happened in this case as anyone else. I do not think it is right that the family can overrule a pregnant woman.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-8 13:53:39 |Display all floors
Dracarys Post time: 2017-9-7 14:57
c-section would keep the mother and the child both alive ..

i know....
just wanted to highlight as it seems you forgot about the child.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-8 13:57:33 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2017-9-7 15:42
No,the mother-in-law should be charged for murder of both the pregnant ldy and her child, for prev ...

I would not like to debate on such issue where death of a  mother and innocent child is involved. There is nothing to prove here. it is just sad and tragedy for the child who did not got his/her chance to see this world...
I honestly think that as a grownup adult the mother should have given a thought about the child she was carrying. IMO suicide is usually a selfish act, in this case it is pure selfishness by mother.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.