Author: ceciliazhang

Is Hollywood racist?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-24 10:00:23 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-24 09:52
The dream of a perfect and harmonious world is deeply anchored in Christian theology and it insp ...

Yes, which is why films are just a small part of the process.  Much of the education already starts at the preschool level and continues throughout undergraduate studies.   

But, it is interesting to watch the effort of Hollywood.  For example, the new Star Trek series called "Star Trek Discovery" has a lot more diverse cast than the previous series.  The captain is a Filipino woman, and the first officer is a Black woman.  

And movies with more than one hero, such as Fantastic Four, always include at least one Black hero and one female hero.  

So, I suppose we can argue on the level of impact, if any at all, this will have on increasing tolerance in the world, but Hollywood at least seems to think it may help.   

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-24 10:08:18 |Display all floors
AmericanDream Post time: 2017-9-24 10:00
Yes, which is why films are just a small part of the process.  Much of the education already start ...

When serials automatically must have a cast of mixed races with strict quotas, we run the risk of perpetuating an illusion. It is pure tokenism. What next?

In my opinion, a racism-free society simply ignores the existence of races. It shouldn't matter whether your skin is black, brown, yellow or white. If it does - even if it is for the purpose of affirmative action - you are re-engineering racism

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-24 10:12:56 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-24 10:08
When serials automatically must have a cast of mixed races with strict quotas, we run the risk o ...

Maybe one day, it will be as such, where one does not even see skin color, but just the common mind and soul underneath.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-24 10:50:41 |Display all floors
AmericanDream Post time: 2017-9-24 10:12
Maybe one day, it will be as such, where one does not even see skin color, but just the common min ...

Even if we get rid of racism, there will still be churlish attitudes towards people who for some reason or other do not met with other people's approval.

Just think of disabled people. In the more ethnically homogeneous societies, disabled persons are the most disadvantaged.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-24 14:06:04 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-24 10:50
Even if we get rid of racism, there will still be churlish attitudes towards people who for some r ...

When I was in elementary school, my teacher had our cla$$ stand up, and she picked out the males and females with shorter than average hair length (I was one of them) and told us to stand in the corner of the room.  She then gave candy to the longer haired students and told them eat it in front of us.  

I felt very strange, a combination of anger and hurt, I wanted to cry.  After a few minutes, the teacher said that what just happened was an example of discrimination.  She told us to always remember that feeling and to think about it when it's our time to decide to treat everyone equally or to discriminate.  

She then gave the rest of the students candy.  

It was a powerful experience for me.  This was a long time ago, of course; I don't think a teacher today would be allowed to use such a method to prove a point. But, I am glad I experienced it, I think  I am a better person because of it.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-24 14:52:30 |Display all floors
AmericanDream Post time: 2017-9-24 14:06
When I was in elementary school, my teacher had our cla$$ stand up, and she picked out the males a ...

A fascinating episode and experience.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.