Views: 38041|Replies: 37

Is Hollywood racist?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-3 10:14:33 |Display all floors

(BBC) Chloe Bennet, who stars in TV series Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, has said she had to change her name from Chloe Wang in order to make it in Hollywood.

The actress praised Ed Skrein for recently pulling out of Hellboy.

His casting had been criticised for "whitewashing" the original character, who is of Asian heritage.

She told an Instagram follower who queried her name change: "Hollywood is racist and wouldn't cast me with a last name that made them uncomfortable."

"Changing my last name doesn't change the fact that my BLOOD is half Chinese, that I lived in China, speak Mandarin or that I was culturally raised both American and Chinese... It means I had to pay my rent."

She added: "I'm doing everything I can, with the platform I have, to make sure no one has to change their name again, just so they can get work."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 10:16:18 |Display all floors

Chloe, who plays a secret agent, has previously explained how her name change led to a more successful career almost immediately.
"Oh, the first audition I went on after I changed my name, I got booked," she told The Daily Beast last year. "So that's a pretty clear little snippet of how Hollywood works."
The actress has since created RUN (Represent Us Now) a group which campaigns for Asian American and Pacific Islander communities to be better represented in Hollywood.
She praised Skrein's decision earlier this week, saying: "DAMN, that's a man. Thank you @edskrein for standing up against Hollywood's continuous insensitivity and flippant behaviour towards the Asian American community.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 10:16:37 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 10:16:51 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 15:27:30 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-3 11:44
I think the anti-Trump bug has bitten Chloe. CHanging her name was not needed to get a job in Hollyw ...

Retarded she's not...

But she knew to make money in this racist Hollywood she's better off to use Bennet...

It's meaningless, only fools fall for such things...

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-3 16:52:37 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2017-9-3 15:27
Retarded she's not...

But she knew to make money in this racist Hollywood she's better off to use ...

Only the retards make money in this line of business. Does Chloe have any talents? Why doesn't she try to do real work?

It's just so fashionable these days to complain Hollywood is misogynist/racist/exclusivist/anti-gay. Film starlets should experience Joe Public's life instead of enjoying life on stage and making half-baked comments about life as such.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 17:37:52 |Display all floors
Yes, C, Hollywood is both racist and sexist, it is a publicly acknowledged fact. Hollywood does not deny it.

Sometime back, I posted something about this, and I was censored by BBS moderators, so I don't know whether this is going to make it. I will avoid specificities this time and see whether it gets through.

Females get paid less than their male counterparts. Emma Watson (played Hermione Granger in Harry Potter) was paid significantly less in one of her latest Hollywood film. Her British male counterparts were upset and protested. They all took a pay cut to be on the same scale as Emma Watson.

Watson and Schumer are some of the actresses who protested against sexism in Hollywood.

With respect to racism, the worse combination is female and Asian, as they earn significantly less then their white counterparts, once for being female and then for being Asian. Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park both played well-formed and well-scripted key characters in Hawaii 5-O, but they will not be returning to Hawaii 5-O for the 8th season because of a pay dispute. They were both denied equal pay as their co-stars.

I read and heard all about it when I was living in L.A., near Hollywood.

That said, once these thespians become popular, get paid enormous sums of money, in the millions for every movie plus loyalties.

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.