Post time 2017-9-4 16:57:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JohnV at 2017-9-20 12:45

Deleted

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-5 01:30:44 |Display all floors
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-4 14:07
@Seneca

It’s not just me that has a jaundiced view, you’ll note that the PSB are recently startin ...

You have been moving the goalposts, I feel, but I am beginning to see your real intentions here. I never heard that Barrack Obama was being feted as a Messiah but I do know that certain Chinese leaders, past and present are. Right now the worshipping is in full swing if you haven't noticed it yet...
No, China is not a "traditional society" even if they do not publicly promote homosexuality. You have not  and some other thoughts about you I keep pri8vate. been here long enough, it seems, to learn to read the signs on the wall. I saw Chinese homos long before Barrack Obama was president of the U.S.A., you know, and I have seen how society here is changing even if the media keep mum about it. Some changes happen faster here and get no publicity - like the existence of "leftover women" for example, and often to the irritation or annoyance  of the ruling few.

I think you are just a very arch-conservative old fogey.

I think hou are just a very conservative and old-fashioned Westerner

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-5 01:35:34 |Display all floors
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-4 16:57
@Seneca

It’s hardly news Seneca that Chinese teachers often moonlight because of their low salarie ...

Sorry, you should have replied to PNP because he raised this, didn't he?

And he was right: the Chinese teachers are in it for nothing but money. They don't choose the teaching career out of love except love for money. If you doubt it that is your right and your risk. The majority just put in the bare minimum (which is 8 hours a week, mind you!). They keep away from the teacher office and the principals because they don't want to get burned in office politics. They can make all the extra money they want by working on the side.

If you doubt that some Chinese make triple the salary of a foreign teacher (who works 20 hours a week contact time) that is your prerogative. I know it is true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-5 07:12:15 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JohnV at 2017-9-20 12:45

Deleted

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-6 13:56:35 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2017-9-6 14:08
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-5 07:12
My mistake in the name post mix up, my apologies.
Yet as you reiterate pnp my question stands, opini ...

" It’s a major fail in people from the west that they’re forever jealously looking around and comparing themselves to others."

Got to disagree; this phenomenon is even more pronounced in China!  Everyone is looking around comparing himself with others, hence to huge demand for house, cars, luxury goods etc, to show off to the rest, keeping up with the Jones!  Public transport in the major cities are the envy of many countries, yet many Chinese clamor to own cars that choke up the streets and damage the environment with air pollution, why?  To show off to family and friends that they have arrived, can afford a car!In China, the car is not a means of transport, it is a status symbol!  Chinese girls even demand house and car of men before they would consider marriage!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.