Post time 2017-9-4 07:38:51 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JohnV at 2017-9-20 12:42

Deleted

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-4 09:36:21 |Display all floors
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-3 22:37
@Seneca

Of course some Chinese teachers make more and some less, just as foreign teachers do.
Once foreigners learn to adapt to a traditional society and stop trying to be social justice warriors, plus ditch the moral relativism, it all gets a lot easier.

Wah, you do seem to have a skewed view of other foreign teachers. Why so negative? I worked more than ten years as a teacher and never was accused of any of the above, nor were any of my colleagues.

Even so some teachers fare better and some fare worse. It's often nothing to do with a teacher's conduct or performance but with office politics and with the mentality of the school rulers. I know how Chinese staff get shafted by their principals (and Chinese teachers do get shafted nearly everywhere!) and other top dogs, and I know how foreign teachers get cheated whenever that is possible.

I think what you let on is very offensive and only justified in regard to the inevitable small number of rule breakers among foreign teachers. There is no justification to lump us all together and treat us as a hostile foreign force.

I don't think China is a "traditional society". What does that mean anyway? What I know is that Chinese society is top-down and strictly stratified from a person's birth on due to Confucian beliefs. I have never questioned my employers' interpretation of their norms and accepted my station in life. I think that is testimony to the fact that as a Westerner I have given my dues although the rewards were far smaller than those I would have received in a Western society. For example after I arrived in China we F.T.s were told that we could celebrate Christmas but we must not invite any Chinese person to our feast. And that's what we did. Not long after that, the policy changed: Christmas was suddenly discovered as a major business booster and foreigners were hunted down to be asked to attend Chinese Christmas "parties".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-4 11:53:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-1 21:25
To own money brings glory these days; in my youth I was told that giving brings the giver blessing ...

None other than the late paramount leader Deng Xiaoping said, 'To be rich is glorious!' Can't blame the Chinese for chasing after the mighty yuan!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-4 12:02:56 |Display all floors
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-2 14:27
@Seneca
I didn’t say it was. I imply that with personal gain should also come social responsibility ...

'approval censorship mode'?  Welcome to CD forum, you will experience more of it, get used to it.   Most of us have experienced that too often, but we are still around, dont give up.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-4 12:07:11 |Display all floors
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-3 22:37
@Seneca

Of course some Chinese teachers make more and some less, just as foreign teachers do.

Just to fill you in; Chinese teachers make far more than foreign teachers by moonlighting,  organising classes outside school hours snd charging their studentd for lessons they should have taught in school!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.