[Others] Teaching in China – a Personal Message [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-3 07:07:25 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JohnV at 2017-9-20 12:40

Deleted

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-3 11:53:29 |Display all floors
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-3 07:07
Many Chinese I know are trying desperately to get to the west, yet when you tell them about mass une ...
yet when you tell them about mass unemployment, food kitchens and direct/indirect taxation of near 50%, it loses appeal. Doesn’t everyone know everyone in the west is rich and money grows on trees? Well yes, many think so. Conversely, heading in the opposite direction are the ones on the receiving end of laissez faire capitalism and looking for a more traditional society, low taxation, guaranteed employment ...

Hmmm. Where in China do you find people who want to emigrate to somewhere else even when the conditions of living there are less inviting than those in China?

In the West it is not uncommon for individualists to make a decision to dedicate themselves to advancing other people's lives. There are Westerners who go abroad to volunteer in Africa or Asia but you won't get such people from China.

When I moved to China, my earning prospects here never appealed to me and they could not sway my decision. I came out of curiosity, not because of an entitlement syndrome.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 19:35:02 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JohnV at 2017-9-20 12:40

Deleted

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 20:34:13 |Display all floors
JohnV Post time: 2017-9-3 19:35
No one emigrates to a country whose living standards are less than where they came from. That’s alw ...
No one emigrates to a country whose living standards are less than where they came from.

I probably get what you want to mean, but you put that incorrectly.

I for example came to China much knowingly that living standards here (and this is not Shanghai or Shenzen) will be less than they are in my home country. I was counting on that, because it would also mean that my salary (that originates from abroad and is only slightly discounted toward Chinese level) goes further here.

It is not only about living standards per se, but how it compares to each person's own income.

China [...] has active aid workers in countries such as Laos, Cambodia and North Korea and recently increased its foreign aid in Africa

That's also not the whole picture. Much of China's foreign "aid" is for infrastuctural projects and investments into local production with the incentive that the added production output is earmarked to be exported to China.

I don't claim that it is different from many other countries motives - but other countries have much wider range of foreign aid coming from NGOs - though again each for their own motives.

China, the world's second-largest economy after a decades-long boom, provided a total of 89.3 billion yuan (now $14.4 billion) in foreign aid in the three years

This I commented in another thread here - actually I then thought this figure was for a single year, but if its for 3 years that's even worse. It is about the same as foreign aid from Canada annually, a country that has a fraction of the population and is not the second largest economy in the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 21:38:26 |Display all floors
No one emigrates to a country whose living standards are less than where they came from. That’s alw ...

I think you are not familiar with people whom I described above. In EUROPE there are uncounted many who are willing to go abroad, perhaps not to emigrate but to put in long years of volunteer work for next to nothing. The U.S.A. has such volunteers too. There are men and women who spend decades working in the most primitive conditions. I have met missionaries and foreign aide workers in Africa who in some cases had clocked up twenty-odd years living there.

So your claim that nobody emigrates unless they see brighter prospects for their future is not correct. It is a matter of cultural conditioning. In some cultures, altruism is a part of social life. In other cultures altruism is derided. Mother Teresa is an example that proves your assumption wrong. And was she satisfied with her life? She was happy!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 21:44:48 |Display all floors
How much China gives in foreign aid . . .
"BEIJING - China, the world's second-largest economy after a decades-long boom, provided a total of 89.3 billion yuan (now $14.4 billion) in foreign aid in the three years to 2012, it said Thursday."

I hope we can leave out such political grandstanding. I thought this thread was about INDIVIDUL and PERSONAL generosity and altruism. What you mentioned is support for polities by other polities. I am afraid your numbers impress for the wrong reason. China does not provide much foreign aide. It does not, for example, donate food and other vital necessities to the millions of Africans displaced by wars and conflicts or victimized by droughts and famines. It makes very few downright donations. Most of what China does is supporting the economy and the corrupt leaders.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-3 21:49:54 |Display all floors

I think few foreign teachers know how backward the living conditions of their Chinese colleagues are before they arrive in China. Yes, as a foreign resident I used to expect to be housed adequately but I never demanded royal treatment and never was treated royally. Then again, foreign teachers live precariously, not knowing how long they will be kept. Decent housing for foreign teachers is a modest compensation for the many other sacrifices that they make for the benefit of China - including settling for very low salaries and other remunerations.

Don't mix up the two. It is wrong. Do you know that there are Chinese teachers who make triple the salaries that foreign teachers make because they partake of extra revenue generated by extracurricular classes?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.