Author: ceciliazhang

Are 'flying train’ with max speed of 2,500mph going to reality?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-9-7 16:04:49 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-11 17:11:18 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2017-9-6 19:29
Seneca nicely summerised the reasons in his post below your reply.

There is really no comparison  ...

Yes, sure. But the Concorde is a PLANE while the Hyperloop is a TRAIN.

I still don't see the relevance of the Concorde to the Hyperloop project, do you?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-9-12 17:50:31 |Display all floors
cdpanda Post time: 2017-9-11 17:11

I still don't see the rel ...

I see what seneca was driving at and agree with his logic.

In simple terms it's "Concorde" was the only successful supersonic (ie fast) civilian transport ever designed and in comparison to the Hyperloop, which is going to be supersonic (at least in Musk's version), there are massive technological issues that the Hyperloop system hasn't addressed and may never be solvable.

I don't think it's worth debating this point longer as it's detracting from the greater debate about hyperloop and hyperloop type technology and it's problems both real and likely.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-12 20:27:03 |Display all floors
cdpanda Post time: 2017-9-11 17:11

I still don't see the rel ...

Are you trying to split hairs? WHo cares whether they fly in a "train" or in a "plane" going at a speed of 4000 kms an hour? What matters is LOCOMOTION, not the method. The Hyperloop isn't a "train" really nor is the project you are so hotly defending. The word "train" comes from French for "pull", as in a locomotive that pulls wagons behind it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-13 08:09:43 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2017-9-12 17:50
I see what seneca was driving at and agree with his logic.

In simple terms it's "Concorde" was th ...

Other than the fact that both the "Concorde" and the "Hyperloop" are overhyped projects, I don't see the technical relevance of the "Concorde" to the "Hyperloop" just because the former is a supersonic plane which has failed spectacularly while the latter is a supersonic maglev train which has attracted worldwide attention to Elon Musk's proposed project. There are other supersonic planes which has suceeded in the aviation industry, namely: jet-fighters for military use. But I don't see the relevance of these supersonic PLANES to supersonic TRAINS. The F-35, for example, is another overhyped project but that supersonic PLANE is not relevant to the supersonic TRAIN proposed in the "Hyperloop" project.

To my knowledge, nobody in the whole wide world looking at the "Hyperloop" project has ever brought up the "Concorde" in discussing either the technical feasibility or economic viability of Elon Musk's proposed supersonic TRAIN project. Just because you agree with Seneca's view of the failed "Concorde" project does not make it any more or less relevant to the proposed "Hyperloop" project.

All this talk about the "Concorde" in relation to the "Hyperloop" is irrelevant.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.