Author: ceciliazhang

Are 'flying train’ with max speed of 2,500mph going to reality?   [Copy link] 中文

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-9-3 21:26:00 |Display all floors
I can't see either the Chinese nor Musk getting the "Hyperloop" to work. There's some seriously flawed engineering in the system.  Musk is a known recycler of technology, not an inventor as it were.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-4 02:56:10 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cdpanda at 2017-9-4 02:59
Ratfink Post time: 2017-9-3 21:26
I can't see either the Chinese nor Musk getting the "Hyperloop" to work. There's some seriously flaw ...

Yes, sure there are serious technical and economic issues with either the Chinese "flying train" or Musk's "Hyperloop". But I don't see how the Concorde is relevant to those TRAIN projects, do you?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-9-4 09:04:48 |Display all floors
cdpanda Post time: 2017-9-4 02:56
Yes, sure there are serious technical and economic issues with either the Chinese "flying train" or ...

The Concorde is the only successful attempt thus far at transporting people at speeds higher than those that land-borne vehicles can reach. The Hyperloop is a project that is not proven yet to be feasible. It doesn't matter whether the transporter has wings or not. In any event, the higher the speed the more questions arise. My first question is: why do we need to travel that fast?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-5 17:45:52 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-4 09:04
The Concorde is the only successful attempt thus far at transporting people at speeds higher than  ...

The most successful attempt at flying with the least amount of energy and pollution is none other than the "Flying Bird":

animate-bird-slide-26.jpg

Now the "Flying Train" may or may not be successful but at least the Chinese have succeeded in creating a metaphor for the proposed evacuated-tube magnetically-levitated train project similar to Elon Musk's "Hyperloop". The Chinese love to use metaphors such as "Flying Train" which sounds much better than "Hyperloop" which is pure hyperbole. If it flies like a plane, then that would have been a simile. But if it flies like a bird, then it must be the "Flying Train".

As for the Concorde, the Chinese might call it the "Crashing Plane" because it has crashed too many times.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Valuable Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Valuable Member

Post time 2017-9-6 19:29:09 |Display all floors
cdpanda Post time: 2017-9-4 02:56
Yes, sure there are serious technical and economic issues with either the Chinese "flying train" or ...

Seneca nicely summerised the reasons in his post below your reply.

There is really no comparison however Concorde was the only SST to ever make it in to the air on scheduled flights, a feat that the Russians were unable to match when their SST crashed and burned at the Paris Air Show.  The American effort was bugged with insurmountable engine issues and other problems and never even made it to the prototype stage.

As for the hyperloop and similar systems, they are going to be plagued with technical issues such as the tubes being acutely sensitive to ground movements, issues with the drive electronics and a host of other issues.  As far as I'm aware none of these issues have been successfully addressed by Musk's designers and prototype.  It's just more Musk hyperbole.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-6 23:53:29 |Display all floors
cdpanda Post time: 2017-9-5 17:45
The most successful attempt at flying with the least amount of energy and pollution is none other  ...

GSood to see you revert to a civil tone. May I now tell you why I think this project is a pipedream?

FIrst of all: think of the human cargo in such a machine! We do not know if the human body can endure such accelerations and decelerations safely.

Secondly, this is a technology that is not looked for by the market. It is driven by scientists and engineers who may otherwise have no job. There will probably never be a high demand for it.

Thirdly: I ahorr technical solutions to challenges that require huge amounts of energy. We are supposed to lower our CO2 output but China is merrily increasing it.

I do not believe the Hyperloop will be a success story either.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-6 23:53:44 |Display all floors
cdpanda Post time: 2017-9-5 17:45
The most successful attempt at flying with the least amount of energy and pollution is none other  ...

GSood to see you revert to a civil tone. May I now tell you why I think this project is a pipedream?

FIrst of all: think of the human cargo in such a machine! We do not know if the human body can endure such accelerations and decelerations safely.

Secondly, this is a technology that is not looked for by the market. It is driven by scientists and engineers who may otherwise have no job. There will probably never be a high demand for it.

Thirdly: I ahorr technical solutions to challenges that require huge amounts of energy. We are supposed to lower our CO2 output but China is merrily increasing it.

I do not believe the Hyperloop will be a success story either.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.