Views: 998|Replies: 14

Will the plastic bag ban work? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-30 15:16:45 |Display all floors
According to the Sun, a ban on plastic bags came into force Monday in Kenya and those found violating the new regulation could receive maximum fines of $38,000 or a four-year jail term. While in China, as early as in 2008, the country banned the commonly used thin plastic bags and required extra charge for the thicker bags. Although the ban has definitely helped decrease the amount of plastic used and produced in China, they are still being sold. Why is it hard to implement the ban?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-30 20:26:09 |Display all floors
Why do you post an article about a ban on plastic bags in an African state when such a ban is so urgently needed here in China???

The Chinese authorities made a decision about ten years ago to limit the availability of plastic bags in shops but I see no effect of this limitation. It is a shame that so much raw material is wasted, so much environmental harm is done by careless people who mindlessly avail themselves of mountains of plastic bags which they discard after using them just one time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-31 07:46:16 |Display all floors
No. Not until there is a suitable biodegradable alternative at a modest price. There will always be a need for additional bags since much of shopping is impulse buying. While it is arguable that there are alternatives to plastic shopping bags, to the best of my belief there is no substitute on the market for bin liners and that is what most plastic shopping bags are used for after the shopping is finished. We could, of course, use paper bags but the number of available trees is diminishing. .
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-31 08:44:43 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-8-31 07:46
No. Not until there is a suitable biodegradable alternative at a modest price. There will always be  ...

I disagree with your belief that "most plastic bags are used as bin liners". Nine in ten are not. And the one odd one that is does not necessarily fit the bin properly.

And where in the world do people put rubbish in shopping plastic bags? Only in China. That amounts to a huge wastage of resources. But above all, it also amounts to preventable unhygienic conditions on public space. Look at any rubbish container here! In a country where the population density is so high this is a bad way to propagate diseases, a truly bad way that works 100%. The people are half-educated. They know rubbish is unhygienic, so they don't touch a rubbish bin's lid to drop their rubbish inside - they drop it on the ground next to the bin. That is why vermin of all kinds and rats have such a paradisiacal life in China.

Of course, there are alternatives to plastic bags. There are paper bags, for example. McDonald's puts your burgers in a paper bag. It is a convenient way. You can reuse the paper bag to hold dry things. I wish bakeries had paper bags instead of plastic wrappers! We have some bags made of some fabric that I occasionally take along for shopping. Unfortunately, my wife is too lazy to think ahead. She is, what you so aptly called an "impulse buyer".

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-9-4 09:02:41 |Display all floors
I will boycott any business that does not give me a plastic bag to carry what I just bought. I do not want to pay for plastic bags- they must be free. When I am finished with the bag I am going to put in a bin but not a recycling bin.   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-9-4 09:50:53 |Display all floors
HailChina! Post time: 2017-9-4 09:02
I will boycott any business that does not give me a plastic bag to carry what I just bought. I do no ...

Please do. You have no money to spend anyway, so go on boycotting shops. We need more poor like you who are denied plastic bags. The more of you useless lot starve to death the better for the environment.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2017-9-4 13:17:03 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-9-4 09:50
Please do. You have no money to spend anyway, so go on boycotting shops. We need more poor like yo ...

I have plenty of disposable income to spend on junk that fits in plastic bags. I dont have a family yiu know and I have cut way back on hookers. Nobody is going to carry around their own bags unless they are $%$%wits so the ban won't work. This kind of nonsense will only kill traditional retail businesses more quickly. You $%$%head.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.