Author: ceciliazhang

Should we enforce real-name registration to comment online?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-30 20:30:21 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-30 20:09
I guess you are right. But computer programmers are cowards. They don't fight. They send armies of ...

Perhaps they could be responsible for my PayPal and Visa accounts not working and I end up communicating with morons directing me to their FAQs or just ignoring me.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-30 21:52:23 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-30 11:05
The identities of members of the wu mao brigade are already known to the authorities. Of course, o ...

They take an awful lot of abuse on yahoo, as everybody calls them out...
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-31 08:14:42 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2017-8-30 21:52
They take an awful lot of abuse on yahoo, as everybody calls them out...

But in China proper they are heroes and heroines, aren't they?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-31 08:16:01 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-8-30 20:30
Perhaps they could be responsible for my PayPal and Visa accounts not working and I end up communi ...

Morons need jobs too, and they seldom fail to get jobs....  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-31 11:03:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by markwu at 2017-8-31 23:48

In these days of phishing and privacy concerns, it will be hard to verify the names are real. In some cases such as in this forum, it is even hard to verify they are humans.

But let's for argument's sake say it is possible. If the names are real, then people will think twice about the credibility of what they write before posting. If they do, then they will have to defend themselves with facts and logic when others with real names counter their arguments, not try to obfuscate with sly word twists, omissions and such.  

We have seen enough of such sinking that has sundered the quality of many fora and turned what could have been a generally intelligent and mutually satisfying discussion into a debacle of mental agony and psychological abuse, thereby sacrificing the very objective of all good fora - the canvasing of defensible opinions and credible ideas that can spring improvements while being sensitive to the need for big-picture perspectives in order not to create unrest that will make improvements too costly.

As for the fear of retribution if the names are real, the upside of such a fear is that it helps condition the commenter's own approach to articulating what s.he wants to see improved inasmuch reminding all that a forum is like someone else's coffee cafe - you go in on registration as customer and meet strangers, then sit down and discuss topics. But under the requirements of the cafe owners. If you don't like them, set up your own cafe next door.

A good forum is intellectually healthy, achieves its objectives as set out by its creators/owners and achieves as a bonus the objective of enabling commenters to note other points of view not originally held by them, thereby rounding any conclusion with higher insights and deeper understanding which may lead to improvements.

And that comes to two other minor examples:

one, if Modi in Beijing can ask himself how his press has concluded India has won when his troops were the ones who had withdrawn back across the boundary to where they had climbed over while China's troops remain to patrol, then perhaps he will update his historical understanding that what is slyly called Doklam in western media should be rightly called Donglang. It would be a bonus if Abe the ape in visiting New Delhi next month won't show any simian mischief to egg Modi's ego further on their fatal miscalculation;

two, if one recollects, the editor of TCQ is based in London as a SOAS-stationed labor activist; no less a person than he himself has said the USSR collapsed because of labor activism; can he therefore understand the concerns why so many of the articles have been banned, especially when they have included many written by authors from that separatist island who despite its so-called peer-reviewed double-screening are nevertheless virulently slanted against the target of their academic calumny? has he in fact read Allison's latest article on the difference between China vs America?

This post, for the two soldiers on that square that day; their young skulls were cracked that had started the melee. As observed by a western journalist no less. You won't find that observation in the book on the same matter that is as showcased in many bookshops in the west today as an article on it was ranked best read in the same quarterly. Happenstance, coincidence?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-31 13:26:40 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-8-30 18:07
I keep expecting to be attacked by a Computer Programmer after some of the complaints that I have  ...

just the last 2 weeks I have had  to enter my user name and password 5 times before I can log on..
other times I am stuck with 502 bad gateway
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-31 13:28:25 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-31 08:14
But in China proper they are heroes and heroines, aren't they?

I thought we might have seen more on here, but this forum doesn't seem to be very important

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.