Author: knox1234

Many foreign teachers in China don't have teaching certificates   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-23 16:03:51 |Display all floors
I think the fault lies with parents who blindly send kids to any school with foreign teacher..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-23 16:33:55 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-23 15:55
Frankly, I do not have the slightest clue as to how you can make any guess about the numbers of  ...
numbers of "unqualified English teachers".

I can extrapolate from statistics apparently released by China PSB from year 2016. Almost 3000 foreign teachers were arrested and deported in the country. Almost 1900 didn't have work visa, and of those who did, 487 were working for different employer than their visa was valid for, and another 597 had a fake university degree. (Source: chinaforeignteachersunion website)

I'm not going to debate merits or demerits of any formal qualifications, or whether the state's requirements are in best interest of the students. I'm just stating that against the current regulations, China continues to have lot of foreign teachers who do not match those regulations - and that in my book makes them unqualified.

I have been asked to teach twice during last year, and I'm neither qualified nor unqualified teacher.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-23 17:49:36 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-23 15:55
Frankly, I do not have the slightest clue as to how you can make any guess about the numbers of  ...
"Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages" (TESOL). Such certs could be obtained in short three-month courses.

My daughter has a degree in foreign languages and agrees with me that the TEFOL training material appears to have been written by a non linguist. The aspect of these courses which is important is that any teacher should keep the teaching varied and fun - something that you are unlikely to find in Chinese schools. The ability to conjugate verbs is largely irrelevant since you are only employed for your ability to speak good English with a neutral pronunciation.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-23 21:38:44 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2017-8-23 17:49
My daughter has a degree in foreign languages and agrees with me that the TEFOL training materia ...

I know the TESOL and TEFOL certs are practically worthless. Basically, native speakers are trained to empathise with students of English whose first language is different. The certs' one  merit may be that owners of such certs have been trained to be more patient with their learners.
Unfortunately, Chinese learners of English never really practice conjugating verbs. Not even under Chinese English teachers. And even so many foreign teachers are told that they must not engage in teaching grammar. They always hear that "Chinese students know English grammar better than native English speakers..."

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-23 21:40:42 |Display all floors
symondsez Post time: 2017-8-23 16:03
I think the fault lies with parents who blindly send kids to any school with foreign teacher..

Why do you "think" that?

There is nothing wrong with Chinese students getting exposed to foreign English teachers. In 100% of all cases, that is the only way they learn to respond to spoken English because no Chinese English teacher ever speaks English to their charges.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-24 07:22:52 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-23 10:56
You did not do your research well. Here is the next slipup in your botched article:

I know you pretend to know everything, but you don't have to leave China to apply for a work/resident visa. I was on a visit visa when I got a opportunity at Sanmen nuclear power station, and I got a work visa and resident permit.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-24 08:10:17 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-8-23 21:38
I know the TESOL and TEFOL certs are practically worthless. Basically, native speakers are train ...
Unfortunately, Chinese learners of English never really practice conjugating verbs.

In a TEFOL advert it clearly indicated that English grammatical education as in conjugating verbs was not required and the only relevant qualification was being a native English speaker. But on their course they ask their students to conjugate a verb to infinity and beyond. Way beyond anything that you are likely to encounter outside a university. Not that you actually need to go round conjugating verbs in English speaking communities.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.