Views: 3084|Replies: 23

Why should we have values? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-20 15:23:23 |Display all floors

Humanity was never a solitary creature.

We evolved from troupe animals from millions of years ago - humans cannot live alone without any support from other humans (some humans do, but these are anomalies)

Given that you need to live in a group, you cannot survive by taking what you want at the cost of hurting others.

Over time game theory ( in prisoners dilemma terms ) goes from a population of

• A stable population ratio of defectors and co-operators
  • Introduction of “tit for tat” strategies that reduce defector populations
  • Evolution of “turn the other cheek” or “tit for two tats” forgiving policies
  • Eventual domination of co-operators with a generous mix of “tit for two tats” who are lawmakers and a small contingent of “tit for tat” who are police and military
  • Evolution of a small set of “smart defectors” who are able to identify co-operators and exploit them by defecting (conmen / sucker-punchers / criminals)
  • As the “smart defectors” get smarter, the “tit for tats” need to also get smarter and sometimes they may evolve to preemptively defect to catch the “smart defectors” - This leads to phenomenon where law is abused due to police etc.

In short, values are nothing special - they are evolution of game theoretic strategies, some unconscious (like empathy from mirror neurons), other due to conditioning and culture (like “do unto others ….”) and some conscious decisions to act in a particular way, based on reasoning about ethics.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-21 11:12:57 |Display all floors
More plagiarism from senoritazhao. If you are going to quote something from somebody, state the originator's name and the link you got it from. Your quote comes from here:

https://www.quora.com/Why-should-we-have-values

The originator's name is  Vivek Nagarajan.

Or ... you could just come up with something original, instead of stealing from others ... but stealing is easier, isn't it.
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-21 11:37:11 |Display all floors
Values and morals are a great asset to yourself and society. People with little or no values/morals are dangerous as they don't think about others and how their actions may affect others.
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-21 14:34:05 |Display all floors
It's so true - good values makes us contious and candid person, therefore benefits the societies as a whole.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-23 16:02:39 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2017-8-21 11:12
More plagiarism from senoritazhao. If you are going to quote something from somebody, state the orig ...

oh my god...you e-screwed sanorita

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-25 07:40:24 |Display all floors
symondsez Post time: 2017-8-23 16:02
oh my god...you e-screwed sanorita

The copied article is about "values". I guess plagiarists have no values ...
It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damned near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-25 09:18:40 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2017-8-25 07:40
The copied article is about "values". I guess plagiarists have no values ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.