Views: 11684|Replies: 6

Type 55 Destroyers? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-15 21:54:14 |Display all floors
I have asked about the Type 55 Destroyer a few times.
How is the project coming along?

Has the Navy tested the complete electronic suite and whether there are any interferences when 55 switch them all on?

Power supply?

I have also asked about the state-of-art with hi-temperature super conductor. How's that coming along?

Can the Navy start out-fitting at least one 55 end of this year?

Project 55 with its full electronic complement, is in my view, more important than the useless ski-jump carriers.

The best way to preserve peace is to prepare for war. The ancient Romens knew that 2000 years ago.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-18 01:56:24 |Display all floors

055 is OK but never my cup of oolong-tikuayin

so here's something from "Popular Science", an authority that equals Janes on

all future science and technology developments

TYPE 002 CARRIER This fan-made computer-generated image of the Type 002 by artist Nishikasaizoukan shows the craft's key features like catapults, J-15B fighters, and fixed-wing airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) aircraft.

But, sadly, even Popular Science isn't fully aware that type 02,

supposedly, is 100,000 tons and not 70,000. I suspect Popular Scuence strategically deflated

the ship's tonnage to suite its loyal readers or its massive audience.

Somebody have to kickstart this thread so I thought I give it a try...

Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-23 22:33:53 |Display all floors
Hopefully some complementary research would also have gone into hypersonic drones and supercavitating torpedos, the latter first produced many years ago as the 200-knot Shkval in Kyrgyzstan, later reversed engineered by Iran. Only Germany's barracuda at 194-knots came close but apparently it was not marketed. The US and japan are too surprisingly quiet on supercavitation so they must already be up to something.

Maybe the same hydrodynamic principles used to make more silent sub propellers can be adapted for noise-reducing and path-variable targeting by this type of torpedoes which punch forward while enshrouded in a drag-reducing steam envelope.

Why this mention of hypersonic drones and supercavitating torpedoes? Because the US already has a laser-gun that shoots targets at light speed by just pointing at the target as denoted on the computer screen; however it works above the water. Hypersonic may make it harder for radar to detect above water and superfast torpedo travels under water.

But the real piece of cake will be an enveloping force field shield that can bounce off all incoming missiles and drones as a countermeasure.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-24 09:21:40 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2017-8-23 22:33
Hopefully some complementary research would also have gone into hypersonic drones and supercavitatin ...

"...enshrouded in a drag-reducing steam envelope...."
  • Enshrouded in a thin layer of air.
  • Propellers are different, the huge pressure causes air bubbles to develop on the blades, causing cavitation.

PRC needs to be strong enough to discourage any adventures and handle any mischieves. There has been some absurd speculations about invading China, then again, #45 is a looney tune.
  • Foremost, AWACS and mid-air refuelling of aircrafts (force multiplier) needed.
  • Situational awareness, where and what are my assets, coordination and bring appropriate assets to bear on hotspots.
  • A few 55s paired with 52C/Ds should add to the visible deterent.
  • H1 might be as old as B52, but still effective carrying stand-off ASM and add to visibility.

Pax Sinica.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-24 10:51:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by markwu at 2017-8-24 10:52

The need to protect hegemony on the excuse of deterrence by projecting strength is psychologically overwhelming. That's why after the Vietnam debacle, the fire and fury of Iraq.

What's the linchpin of all conflicts? Detection. The submarine and torpedo - sonar. The battleship and awac - radar. The missile, drone and satellite - infrared optics. The battlefield plan - mapping, intel, comms and deflection camouflage. Is there an overarching countermeasure against all - comprehensive, accurate and dynamic?  That is the question to ponder beyond force multipliers and asymmetric response.

Back to the force-field shield. A challenge. How to make molecular machines take instructions? Imagine a dynamic swarm of them canopying the asset, sticking to the incoming missile or torpedo or even laser beam,  creating drag to load it off-course or as a chaff to deflect beam energy at the photon interface between air and light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-24 11:23:03 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2017-8-23 06:33
Hopefully some complementary research would also have gone into hypersonic drones and supercavitatin ...

US Intelegence had spoke of a Chinese knockoff of the Shkval and that was some years back. Not much has been said of supercavirating torpedoes since. I doubt if the technology is truly that super or efficient. 500 kph speed under the sea defies simple physical logic, hydromechanics or no hydromechanics. That's like this Orsen Wells ship that goes into the centre of the earth. It doesn't just defy logic, it defies reality.
Putin's a killer. This was the claim made by Fox News journalist; Bill O'Reilly during his recent interview with Donald Trump. Trump's reply came in the form of a simple question. What, you think our country's so innocent?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-25 21:07:22 |Display all floors
markwu Post time: 2017-8-24 10:51
The need to protect hegemony on the excuse of deterrence by projecting strength is psychologically o ...

"...What's the linchpin of all conflicts? Detection...."

Yes, that's a big field covering multiple scientific disciplines and they are always evolving. What is science today will be engineering tomorrow, evidenced by China's quantum satellite success.

Take for example Australia's Pine Gap. It has evolved from, conceptually, a basic VHF radar station bouncing radio waves off the ionosphere into China to a super sigint center which downloads data from geostationary satellites, direct drone strikes and help home in on SIM cards. That's how the USAnians track down and kill some of their "targets".  I wouldn't put it pass the USAnians to slip some apps onto mobile phones which use the gps chip to transmit latitude and longitude.

That was a bit of a digression...

What I am trying to say is, simply, be prepared to defend yourselves on all fronts and using all possible mediums and on all wavelengths. Trump has loosened all political constraints and moral restraints on drone strikes and overseas extra-judicial killings, and let's face it, the SEAL teams are assassination squads.

Now we can guess why Fatty-the-3rd is so scared that he threatened with nukes and ICBMs. He has good reasons to.

But I don't need to tell the PLA all this stuff, I am sure the PLA knows already, and know much better than I do.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.