Views: 563|Replies: 3

Libraries in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-8-12 20:38:24 |Display all floors

I have been in China 8 months and I haven't seen one public library yet.
I haven't heard of or  spoken with people going to a library either.
Are there any public libraries in Shanghai, like those in Hong Kong?
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-13 10:54:37 |Display all floors
As a teacher in China, I am ashamed for the library shortage! But the rapid development of cellphone communication can save the situation since I often see the local farmers learning so much things through the Internet every day!

Cellphones are the mobile libraries in China!   
The most useful knowledge and skill that we are lack of is that of about human!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Valuable Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-8-14 22:05:03 |Display all floors
Only Hong Kong has decent libraries in the whole of China. I used to patronise the Shenzhen City library which was pretty good, having a newspaper section that subscribed to the Pravda, the New York Times, the South China Morning Post, Le Monde, Spiegel etc. But in my ten years in and near Guangzhou I never saw a library in that city.

It is the same with bookstores. You won't find a second-hand bookstore although I used to know one. Sadly, it closed for good a few years ago. In Hong Kong there are several.

But there is no surprise about this: Chinese are not readers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-8-15 20:03:30 |Display all floors
SEARU Post time: 2017-8-13 10:54
As a teacher in China, I am ashamed for the library shortage! But the rapid development of cellphone ...

No need to be ashamed, it's not your fault.

Library for me is actually a lifestyle. In the hectic bustle of the workday I used to dive into the local library for a bit of quiteness and read passages from my favourite books, or peruse magazines and newspapers. When life got too much, I found I could gather myself and my thoughts in a library among the books, so well categorized there is a soothing orderliness that permeates in such a way that I can recognise my own streams of consciousness amids the authors' streams of thoughts. The books, the reference for and the effort to preserve knowledge is inspirational. I also know from experience that people who go to libraries tend to be thoughtful or thought-provoking.

The internet? Chaos!
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.